TD4 Towbar Fitting

schuee

Afternoon All,

Have been looking at fitting a towbar onto the old Hippo, will go for the twin electric type as I have use of a caravan from time to time. Have been quoted from an independent garage £320 +VAT for a Witter model which I know are a trusted brand, waiting for a price from the main stealer for a genuine LR part, though I'm sure will be double the price or maybe more.

I have a good knowledge of electrickery, though have never fitted a towbar before, a pal told me the wiring harness should already have a connector to attach to the towbar wiring harness, I have seen these on Witter and Towsure websites, though is it as easy as that? If so I will fit the kit myself.

Any help or advise would be kindly appreciated :D

Cheers

Keith

Afternoon All,

Have been looking at fitting a towbar onto the old Hippo, will go for the twin electric type as I have use of a caravan from time to time. Have been quoted from an independent garage £320 +VAT for a Witter model which I know are a trusted brand, waiting for a price from the main stealer for a genuine LR part, though I'm sure will be double the price or maybe more.

I have a good knowledge of electrickery, though have never fitted a towbar before, a pal told me the wiring harness should already have a connector to attach to the towbar wiring harness, I have seen these on Witter and Towsure websites, though is it as easy as that? If so I will fit the kit myself.

Any help or advise would be kindly appreciated :D

Cheers

Keith

Hi keith,

quite simple - well mine was. tow bar kit has electric harness and multi plastic plug, remove

offside rear side panel (inside boot)and you then have access to wiring loom and plastic connector plug,

working from memory it is somewhere behind light cluster, also their is a rubber/plastic

grommet somewhere below this enabling you to bring the multi core cable and plug into the space

behind light cluster from underneath, the tow bar fits to the under body/chassis and has

pre drilled holes with captivated nuts in situ, so simply fit bolts and tighten, you also

have to change the flasher unit/relay (i had to) which is under the front offside shelf/dash

total time around 2 hours should do it, -a pit is very handy.

mine is a 2003 TD4 serengeti.

hope this helps Chris H

Tow bar takes about an hour to fit, taking it easy. All the bolt holes are there ready, so it is just 5 bolts to fit. You don't even need ramps to do it! There is nothing wrong with the Towsure or Witter bars. They all have to be tested nowadays. I bought mine secondhand from one of the LR mags, and there are always plenty on Ebay.

12n electrics should have a plug on the end to plug into the loom. Even the LR kit isn't expensive. The plug is to be found behind the plastic boot liner on the drivers side, just behind the rear wheel arch. There is a grommet incuded with the kit, which fits in a very obvious place.

12s was a bit more awkward, but I ran a fused cable from the battery along the passenger side of the car and fitted an electronic twin relay behind the boot side trim that side, and took the 12s cable through the equivalent grommet that side.

You do need to buy the correct flasher relay so that the little trailer lights up on the dash.

Hi keith,

quite simple - well mine was. tow bar kit has electric harness and multi plastic plug, remove

offside rear side panel (inside boot)and you then have access to wiring loom and plastic connector plug,

working from memory it is somewhere behind light cluster, also their is a rubber/plastic

grommet somewhere below this enabling you to bring the multi core cable and plug into the space

behind light cluster from underneath, the tow bar fits to the under body/chassis and has

pre drilled holes with captivated nuts in situ, so simply fit bolts and tighten, you also

have to change the flasher unit/relay (i had to) which is under the front offside shelf/dash

total time around 2 hours should do it, -a pit is very handy.

mine is a 2003 TD4 serengeti.

hope this helps Chris H

Aye Up Chris,

Thanks for the info, just had the price from the Main Delear, sorry or was it stealer £492.00 + VAT :o £387 for kit and £105 labour, will definetly be doing it myself.

Cheers

Keith

Tow bar takes about an hour to fit, taking it easy. All the bolt holes are there ready, so it is just 5 bolts to fit. You don't even need ramps to do it! There is nothing wrong with the Towsure or Witter bars. They all have to be tested nowadays. I bought mine secondhand from one of the LR mags, and there are always plenty on Ebay.

12n electrics should have a plug on the end to plug into the loom. Even the LR kit isn't expensive. The plug is to be found behind the plastic boot liner on the drivers side, just behind the rear wheel arch. There is a grommet incuded with the kit, which fits in a very obvious place.

12s was a bit more awkward, but I ran a fused cable from the battery along the passenger side of the car and fitted an electronic twin relay behind the boot side trim that side, and took the 12s cable through the equivalent grommet that side.

You do need to buy the correct flasher relay so that the little trailer lights up on the dash.

Thanks Llanigraham

So from what I gather the 12n is single electric just for lighting board, and the 12s is for supplying leisure battery in a caravan :unsure: though feel free to correct me ;) I know a good auto electrical factors in Newark I assume if I explained regarding the flasher relay they would know what I was talking about, so I can sort that as well.

Cheers Mate

Keith