Jerry Cans(4) on |Roofrack

keithjh

Hi All,

In July i will be travelling through France and Spain to Gibraltar, somebody in the pub last night said its illegal to carry Jerry Cans on the roofrack in these countries. I have travelled through France to Bosnia with cans on the roof rack with no problems. Just wondered if anybody knew the correct answer

The only time i ever had trouble was at Calais when a French customs officer said i should only carry 60L not the 80L i had on the roof but nothing else was mentioned,

Any ideas comments greatfully accepted

Regards

Keith

Jerry Cans on the roofrack...

...Any ideas comments greatfully accepted

Putting 80l of fuel on the roofrack is a daft idea. I cannot comment on Discoverys but the maximum roofrack loading for a Defender, including the rack itself, is 75kg. 80l of fuel in cans must weigh 80kg minimum, more like 90kg. Put the cans inside and put something lighter on the roof. Not only will the car handle better but you will be legal (from a loading perspective) too.

Carrying petrol in/on a car is illegal in the UK IIRC.

Chris

Seeing you are headed for Gibraltar, remember it would be illegal to fill the cans there and then to re-enter the EU (Spain) without paying the duty - smuggling. If you are Morocco bound take one jerry can max., unless you plan to spend an extended period away from civilization. Went last year and there are so many fuel stations around we did not need to dip into any cans, despite crossing the Atlas off road and spending a day and a half in the desert. All the fuel we saw, with one exception, was ULSD. We all used our cans once back into Spain with the exception of one guy who's cans leaked in Morocco, caused a big mess and smell and ruined his windscreen wiper rubbers as the fuel was carried on the roof.

Chris

I didn't think it was the defenders max weight, more so the max weight allowed by law?

On another note do you really want to be lifting up and down that much weight every time you want to fill up and load up.

Went thourgh France and Spain last year with 40L of Diesel on the roof, I didn't have an issue with the local plod got pulled 3 times in France and twice in Spain:

2 "spot checks" at toll booths for vests beam adjusters etc!!! they were pulling a lot of UK cars!!!!! and one random pull on "local" roads, I think he wanted to have a look at the landy as he just spent time asking about all the bits on it. The two in Spain were within 1/2 an hour of each other but the place was full with police as the tour was going through there in the afternoon and I think they were passing time again more intrested in where we had been what we had been doing they didn't say a word about the diesel.

the weight bit is intresting as I think my roof tent must push the 90kgs....

oh it says in the ferry booking that you are not to take them full but they never checked...

80kg, gulp!!

I've got 3000 mile - 2 week rally in a few weeks and I'm taking 2 spare wheels, 1 will be on the rack with 4 x 20ltr jerry cans and a pair of waffle boards.

I'm keeping the tub clean to carry 14 days food, water, clothes, tents ect. for me and co-driver

Ade

Extract about roof rack & loading from RAVE manuals 2000MY Defenders Owners handbook

File0684.jpg

150KGS is more like it......

45kgs for the diesel (2 x 20l)

20kgs Roof Rack

20kgs Waffle boards

60kgs (50kgs just checked) for the roof tent

Close....... I guess, another reason for the trailer....

it's not advisable to carry petrol on the roof and if you do ensure that you don't fill the can completely... been quite a few incidents of them exploding in hot weather. diesel should be fine though since it's much less volatile than petrol.

max load on my freelander 2 is 60 kg i think in the manual. bear in mind this is the manufacturer's limit and has a large cover your ass safety factor in it.

Why do you need to carry so much fuel? They do have petrol stations in other countries and i know in france there open 24 hours as long as you pay by card. The cans on the roof will just cause extra drag and mean you use extra fuel!! Stop pretending your on the camel trophy and take them off. One small 10 litre can should be enoughand store it in the back nice and low down

Why do you need to carry so much fuel? They do have petrol stations in other countries and i know in france there open 24 hours as long as you pay by card. The cans on the roof will just cause extra drag and mean you use extra fuel!! Stop pretending your on the camel trophy and take them off. One small 10 litre can should be enoughand store it in the back nice and low down

I have to answer this piece of sarcastic dribble written above,

I am not pretending i am on CT, just as a piece of background information i have travelled by LR extensively including Russia, Norway(Artic Circle) and to Cape Town and back have you done the same? i know why i want to carry 4 jerry cans, I was not asking advice on preparation for a trip. I was asking about the legality of carrying diesel on a roofrack through France and Spain.

The reason for 4 cans is simple another LR is coming with us that has no roofrack fitted so its basically 2 for each of us. We will arrive in France early hours of Sunday morning and as many members have mentioned on here France virtually closes down on a Sunday, so to be on the safe side i will carry extra fuel.

As for the extra drag etc using extra fuel thats my concern not yours am i asking you to pay for the extra fuel i will use?

I ask questions at times like many other people do to clarify a point, or seek advice from others who have experience.

I certainly do not expect sarcastic comments like the above for asking a perfectly reasonable question, in other words if you cannot answer a question without the petty sarcastic remarks then in my opinion sod off and annoy someone else with your drivel.

Regards

Keith

i cannot see how you would need so much fuel sorry it just doesn't make sense. I've driven over europe many times and whilst i understand you may need extra fuel in russia or deepest africa in france you'll be fine. I drive a petrol SWB series doing approximately 15-18mpg fully loaded around europe and never had a problem with getting fuel and thats with a tank that holds the same amount as 2 jerry cans a defender 110 or discovery with its huge 80 litre tank will be fine . France may well be shut ion a sunday but the main services are 24hr so are all the big supermarkets have 24 hour garages where you pay for the fuel at an unmanned pump and if you have sat nav they are all marked on them to. Never had a problem getting fuel at anytime of the day or night any day of the week. Maybe it was slightly sarky but there are to many people in the world who bolt on tat purely for pose value and carry so much stuff they don't need. You'll save a lot of weight and wind resistance without them to

Keith

I carry four 10litre Jerry cans on the roof of my Defender 110 SW.

You have asked about the legalities. Not the weight...

You might get pulled on the ferry as fuel cans EMPTY or full are not allowed, Cal Mac pulled me going to Mull. So cover them up. Other than that I can't comment. Apart from fuel could be cheaper over there

If you don't mind I'll comment on loading.

The max roof "ROOF" weight is 75kg ot 150kg overlanding. Why Land Rover make a difference I have no idea. Now if you can get the heaviy stuff between the wheels then you shouldn't have a problem. Try not to have any heavy stuff behind the rear wheels in the load bay.

I've carried the four ten litre cans plus another 20 litre can on the roof. Not forgetting the other stuff that's up there as wll. Frankly I've not noticed a problem. I do empty the 20 litre asap.

Keith

I carry four 10litre Jerry cans on the roof of my Defender 110 SW.

You have asked about the legalities. Not the weight...

You might get pulled on the ferry as fuel cans EMPTY or full are not allowed, Cal Mac pulled me going to Mull. So cover them up. Other than that I can't comment. Apart from fuel could be cheaper over there

If you don't mind I'll comment on loading.

The max roof "ROOF" weight is 75kg ot 150kg overlanding. Why Land Rover make a difference I have no idea. Now if you can get the heaviy stuff between the wheels then you shouldn't have a problem. Try not to have any heavy stuff behind the rear wheels in the load bay.

I've carried the four ten litre cans plus another 20 litre can on the roof. Not forgetting the other stuff that's up there as well. Frankly I've not noticed a problem. I do empty the 20 litre asap.

Hi,

I never understood why LR had the differential either on roof weights. And yes like many others i have overloaded my roof rack on numerous occasions and never noticed any problems, just taken a little more care over rough ground.

The cans are virtually in the centre of the rack at the back of the Ezi-Awn which opens over the bonnet. (110CSW).

Also we have used Cal Mac and never been stopped about the jerry cans on the roof, sometimes i think it depends who is on duty at the time. According to Sea France you can carry 60L of Diesel on the roofrack but not Petrol.

I know people have suggested carrying them inside but the simple answer is i have no room and thats after removing the rear seats, with cooker, engel, spares tools,food, clothes etc.

We have also had problems in the past using the automated filling stations in France they do not seem to like UK credit/debit cards for some reason. As we are hoping to cover 600miles on the Sunday i wanted to make sure we had enough fuel as i once years ago arrived at a gas station on fumes by then to find out they had no diesel and the next one that was open was another 40 miles away.

Regards

Keith

i cannot see how you would need so much fuel sorry it just doesn't make sense. I've driven over europe many times and whilst i understand you may need extra fuel in russia or deepest africa in france you'll be fine. I drive a petrol SWB series doing approximately 15-18mpg fully loaded around europe and never had a problem with getting fuel and thats with a tank that holds the same amount as 2 jerry cans a defender 110 or discovery with its huge 80 litre tank will be fine . France may well be shut ion a sunday but the main services are 24hr so are all the big supermarkets have 24 hour garages where you pay for the fuel at an unmanned pump and if you have sat nav they are all marked on them to. Never had a problem getting fuel at anytime of the day or night any day of the week. Maybe it was slightly sarky but there are to many people in the world who bolt on tat purely for pose value and carry so much stuff they don't need. You'll save a lot of weight and wind resistance without them to

Hi

We all carry many things that are never used on trips but that does not stop us carrying them. Last year i was on a convoy to Bosnia along with other LRs all 300TDIs, and i was laughed at because i had a spare cylinder head on board, but when a head on a disco went in Slovenia he was happy i had one, along with a water pump p gasket etc.

On the same trip this year i had the usual amount of spares with me and used nothing for anybody, so the argument could be that i carried all that extra weight for nothing, but i will csrry spares etc as i can fix anything if i have the parts. I would rather cart all the stuff with me than have to rely on the AA or whoever to find me a part. Its down to preference i suppose on what we carry.

Maybe my attitude is slightly different to many people in the UK but i lived in Rhodesia until 1980 when we had to leave and out in the bush if you had no parts you were goosed, i carry a large amount of spares just in case even in the UK and touchwood hardly ever have to use them but at least they are there if i do need them.

Keith

Keith

I'm going to point something out.

ROOF weight not gutter weight. Is there a difference ? Remember the old roof racks that had feet on the roof ?

I know what you mean about room. Our Defender is only just big enough for two of us. What's going to happen next trip when a third seat is needeed I haven't yet worked out.

Hi Keith

Someone else has bought up the problem with paying by card for fuel in France.

Apparently it's due to different software on the chip & pin machines. France is on CP1 and we use CP2 (or summat like that)

Bit of useless info for ya there mate :D

Enjoy your trip

Ade

Keith

ROOF weight not gutter weight. Is there a difference ? Remember the old roof racks that had feet on the roof ?

I know what you mean about room. Our Defender is only just big enough for two of us. What's going to happen next trip when a third seat is needeed I haven't yet worked out.

Roofrack :ph34r:

Keith

Keith

Hi

Hmmmm never thought about that, another tin of worms to be opened

Keith