Braking

welling4x4

Hi Pepe's Can any 1 HELP. my range rover has started to swerve to the left side very badly when I need to brake hard.

the front goes to the left & the rear end goes as well & I do not know how to cure it.blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif So if any 1 has any clues or ideas to cure this fault I would be very Grateful.wink.gif

Sounds like the brake calipers are not working correctly on the offside. The pistons in the calipers need to move freely to work correctly, if they dont then they possibly need rebuilding. You can purchase brake caliper rebuild kits from any landrover retailer.

1441.jpg

Time to crawl underneath and have a good look around!

Have you checked the obvious and easy stuff, e.g. plenty of tread on tyres (and similar tyres with similar tread depth on all corners), tyre pressures all correct?

Then:

- any brake calipers seized (on or off)? Worn out brake pads?

- all dampers okay?

- all springs okay (none broken, for instance)

- any broken suspension components?

- worn suspension bushes?

Finally - if you still can't identify the cause yourself, get it to a garage as soon as because it's not safe to drive (doesn't sound like you need telling that!).

My money's on a seized brake caliper, if it's only braking that has any ill effects :)

A word of warning - if you do buy a caliper rebuild kit don't buy Britpart - half the bits are the wrong size. I'm not sure about other pattern brands, of even if there are any. I've given up rebuilding calipers now and just get a complete recon caliper, but I'm not on quite as tight a budget as I was (well, I wasn't before the new engine... :blink:).

A word of warning - if you do buy a caliper rebuild kit don't buy Britpart - half the bits are the wrong size. I'm not sure about other pattern brands, of even if there are any. I've given up rebuilding calipers now and just get a complete recon caliper, but I'm not on quite as tight a budget as I was (well, I wasn't before the new engine... blink.gif).

freely

Thank you all. The fault was a seized cailiper & the pistons were NOT able to move yet alone freely & yes I did buy a britpart rebuild kit & yes your right the don't fit the outer end seals snap get bent or just DO NOT work. (What a waste of money & time & effort) any 1 going down this route of the rebuild kit Trust me it's rubbish & as I said a waste of money time & efffort.

(mad.gifBritpart you need to try them out for ur selfs) rtfm.gif