Which oil for 300tdi?

So I don't have my official manual for my 90, but I figured the guide at halfrauds would probably be accurate, and ended up getting 10w40.

Is 10w40 ok or should I have 15w40? Anybody know the sump capacity as well by any chance..?

What he said - 10w40 is the right stuff for the tdi.

if its a high miler and smokes a bit on startup (oily smoke, not unburnt fuel smoke) then sticking in 15w40 may reduce its tendency to cloud up your drive :blink: as its a bit thicker when cold.

Personally i always put a quality 10w40 semisynth in my 300tdi. its gets treated hard with lots of short journeys, followed by very long motorway runs, followed by offroading. So i like the extra ability of semisynth. Plus it gets changed every 3-4k miles religiously.

Hi,I use 5/30 magnetec,in the LR handbook it states it is ok up to an ambient temperature of 35 deg C, it never gets that hot in scotland. 5/40 covers -30 to +50 deg C. If your engine uses oil it be better with 10/40 or 15/40. regards, rocky

If the oils rank, it might be worth chucking some cheapo stuff in there and running it for 500miles or so then changing it again. The fresh oil will clean a lot of the guts out meaning it will turn black very quickly.

My franchised dealer put Castrol Magnatec Diesel 10/40 in my 300TDi at the first (1000-mile) service and I have continued to use the same stuff ever since.

Price at Costco is £32 for 8L (box of 2x4L bottles) which is almost half what I see it for everywhere else.

Ended up buying some sort of engine cleaner for diesel engines, so hopefully that won't muck the castrol up too much. New filter too of course. Seems to be running ok!

Thanks for the manual link western..