Suitable CB mount setup for a Disco 1

axlechorus

Hi Guys

I’m looking for ideas to re-do my CB mount for the outside of the car as the setup I took out on Monday which used one of dads defender style mounts didn’t last the course on the low and tight vegetation.

I was using one of the thunderpole side mounts (http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb_radio_fixed_body_mounts.htm second one down) mounted on the top left of the car where a pervious owner had used a simple bracket of some sort - I believe for a CB as well. Still this mount didn’t last and I had to remove the CB aerial near the end as it was hanging at a rather interesting angle.

I have had a look around the thunderpole site and am leaning towards one of these http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/intek-mag-1345.html. I only need the thing for convoy duty on greenlanes and being a student being able to remove it whilst on campus and in town would be very useful with on street parking.

Does anyone have any experience with these kind of mounts; do they give decent coverage? do they last the course?

Cheers

Ryck

Hi ryck

i have seen it done on a disco 2 where the rig was mounted on the over head consol they removed the front int light and fitted the rig there think they used a blank in place of the int light, if you visit the land rover uk forums site in the discovery section and you will see pics of it done.

graham

03 plate d 2 td5 auto es.

1997 disco 1 300 tdi.

I use a "powerstick" mount or dome mount, 3rd one down on this page: http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb_radio_fixed_body_mounts.htm

I can unscrew the antenna if needed and leave the mount and cable in place. Requires a hole drilling in the roof but that's no problem (actually my D2 had a blanking plug in the roof already).

That with a stinger has proven tough enough for anything I've tackled so far. The only time I remove it is multi-story carparks and if I have any large sheets of ply on the roof (I don't tend to go laning with those on though :lol: )

Question for Nigel and Paul. What was the reason for fixing the mount to the alloy quarter panel rather than the steel roof above the gutter? Is it not better to be on the steel. I have no idea BTW I am just curious. Was it not difficult to get to the back of that panel too?

Guest noggy

Question for Nigel and Paul. What was the reason for fixing the mount to the alloy quarter panel rather than the steel roof above the gutter? Is it not better to be on the steel. I have no idea BTW I am just curious. Was it not difficult to get to the back of that panel too?

ive been thinking the exact same thing!

I used a panel based mount, and made a small right angled bracket that fitted onto the spare wheel mount, after I got fed up scraping gutter mount ones off on the scenery....

this was much more protected, and seemed to work ok (not the best picture, but you get the idea):

gallery_92_191_33297.jpg

hth

Mark

Reason for rear quarter is that I could not get to the roof in that area (above the rear quarter) the area is not large enough. With hindsight the rear quarter was not much easier as I had forgotten it was twin skinned (it was early in the morning!) In the end I cut a slot in the steel frome to get to the nuts. Havn't checked the SWR yet, can't remember who I lent my meter to! It does look tidy though, I get no banging on the bodywork even with the Thunderpole and it looks like it will be fairly safe there.

Same here, I thought it would be easier to get to the quarter panel (I doubt that now) but also, in my case, the base of the aerial was too long to mount on the roof panel without it sticking up and potentially catching when laning. Where it is now although the wire part, and it is just piano wire, catches trees and branches etc, it simply bends out of the way and is resilient enough to spring back .. ;)

i used an old dv9 mount and drilled it straight through the roof,have a small springer aerial and it just bends back when encountering branches etc.

problem with lower mountings is the coil of the aerial needs to be above any surrounding metal or you can get bad swr reading.

Hi, I have mine mounted on the roof with a large 'magmount' The cable runs in through the rear door that way if I do come across any low branches theory is that the worst that will happen is the aerial will slide off avoiding any damage. Also if parking in a multistory or under height barrier simple to lift and stash in boot.

Bri

I used to run mine with a mag mount .. until the day it was pushed off and swung round again on the cable and broke the side window! I also got fed up with stopping to take it off under trees and put it back up again when out of them ... ;) On a weekend to Wales I reckon I moved and replaced it maybe 20 times. A 4' long piano wire is a biatch to move about inside a Disco ..

Following pic is me coming down Stanage Edge, but clearly shows the mag mount, cable just out the top of the door .. fine in the open but a bit scary and wearisome on treelined lanes ..

3649470551_96b6376335.jpg

Worse than opening gates in my view .. hence why I changed it .. ;)

I see what you mean there Fantic. mines on the roof behind the rear sunroof, with the cable through the tailgate so will only drop behind and the cable is gonna be routed behind the headlining once its removed to locate the many water leeks!

Hi, I have mine mounted on the roof with a large 'magmount' The cable runs in through the rear door that way if I do come across any low branches theory is that the worst that will happen is the aerial will slide off avoiding any damage. Also if parking in a multistory or under height barrier simple to lift and stash in boot.

Bri

Cheers for all your replies. This has been really helpful to see how you all have your setup.

@ Fantic & RaDi90Hyrid you are using the same mount however I mounted mine up above the guttering and I think it was this up high mounting that caused the aerial to cop it as the thunderpole aerial I was using of dads the thunderpole Orbitor (http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/orbitor.htm)was sitting above the rear line of the roof.

I think now looking at it the best option may well be to mount it on the rear wheel, however with the spare tyre there and the potential sway of the the aerial Im not to sure of the SWR reading as well. Reading Pinn76's post above I think that is the route Im going to take to get the aerial into the centre of the roof at the back (most protected) and if it does cop it then I will most likely fabircate some mount on the back of the spare wheels mount when I renew it in order to better take my spare tyre with the devon wheel holder as my current spare is brushing the rear bumper when you open it.

I will try and post some pictures of my setup and the results tomorrow for reference.

Many thanks for all your help.

Ryck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

An update I have decided to bit the bullet and go with a mag mount to put on the back section of the roof running out of the rear sun roof, As I have a removable CB as the car is often left about being a student I thourght that it would be best to have a removable mount. I have got one from 4x4cb.com here (http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=1336) and was upgraded to a small more powerful mount. Must say I am impressed and it has so far lasted well after the weekend. I have deliberately run the wire around my work light as you can see so the unit can slide back and be caught of the back of the car if I meet a very low tree. SWR reading is good of just over 1.25 being my typical reading on the meter that I have attached the back of my centre console. I leave the main wiring tucked under the side of the centre console before screwing it into the base of my handheld intek that I have on a bracket by the side of the instrument panel.

100_5806.jpg

Cheers for all your help guys.

Ryck

Guest MRPLEBBY

Arr the old cb's i was on from 1982 to to mid nighties, then went to amatuer radio passed RAE and hated every minute of it, infact it proberly erroded my outlook on radio all together i never returned to cb, i used to be the local rig doctor doing mods and stuff for people for next to nowt.

Them were the days wink.gifrolleyes.gif

• 1 month later...

Hi ryck

i have seen it done on a disco 2 where the rig was mounted on the over head consol they removed the front int light and fitted the rig there think they used a blank in place of the int light, if you visit the land rover uk forums site in the discovery section and you will see pics of it done.

graham

03 plate d 2 td5 auto es.

1997 disco 1 300 tdi.

Is it this one your thinking of ?

CB001.jpg

If so it's my motor, I used an old interior light cut it up a bit & used some filler to regain the shape in places & screwed the radio bracket to it & then refitted the light frame.

How do people find gutter mount cope with low trees etc, just that i've been wondering if I should fit one for my aerial