RRC size difference tires front and back

Dodo

The RRC 1994 I just bought has tires sized 235/70 (back) and 205/80 (front); both with standard 16inch vogue wheels. It has the Borg Warner viscose transfer box.

Is this an acceptable setup or will this damage the transfer box or other parts eventually (because of a very slight difference in wheel rotation speed, I suppose) ?

I'm not sure where you live or the vehicle licensing regulations there but it wouldn't be legal where I live where all wheel/tires are required to be the same size.

That said I'm sure it I'm pretty sure it will stuff something up in the drive train - I would be fixing the problem pronto.

There's a .5mm height difference between the two, so not exactly lethal, but I wouldn't keep it like that anyway. Get some more 235/70s.

The viscous coupling is most affected by this, and when ran a long time with different tyre heights it'll seize.

In theory there's a .5m height difference, but in practice tyre manufacturer's sizes vary and diameter varies due to wear, so it's like running different makes of tyre front and back, or having worn front tyres and fresh rear tyres. Ultimately the difference in size might over work the viscous coupling, but unless you're planning on doing huge motorway mileage in the near future I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for these replies, very helpful; I have ordered Kumho 225/75 r16 tires for the back in the meantime, because of a flat 235/70 tire which was quite worn anyway. I guess I shouln't wait very long with the front tires.

bye, Dodo