Bargain of the decade! TD5 Discovery 2

JJ7893

Hi all, I'm back after a little break for here as I am a student at photography. Any our last car is now on E bay as there too much work for me to do so my father was thinking of selling his car. So managed to find the money for it as he would need to replace it.

Anyway this car was built to his spec and then sent to Holland and my father went over to pick it up in April 2000.

She never been hardly used hence the low mileage only to 4 trips to Spain for 4 years in a row while my brothers where young but as there older he felt he had no need for a big car and decided to let us have it cheap.

This car has had very little repairs to it over the 10 years, both rear calipers where replaced had 2 sets of pads with the last pair just been replaced last week due to a sticking cylinder in the front caliper. Sunroof motor stopped work a couple of times but has been fixed. And something to do with the ACE but this part Accelerometer has been replaced. (Not sure what it is as I'm new to the TD5)

So far it has only done 41.051 miles to date. Still has the original tyres all round and has loads of extra's fitted to it.

I don't intend to mess around with this one as it is in a fantastic condition but I am going to fit in more genuine extra's to it like the cruise control, dog guard etc.

I may have left you wondering why a bargain we only paid £5500 with 12 months tax and MOT and we had it valued at £8000 as it stands so we are very happy with it.

I have added some images of the car and I hope you like.

post-15285-127074921923_thumb.jpg

post-15285-127074924287_thumb.jpg

post-15285-127074926543_thumb.jpg

post-15285-127074930493_thumb.jpg

post-15285-127074932946_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your replys.

LR Nut, I will do that was just funny as I looked at it today still very clean but it don't say it not rusting inside though! What I will do is remove in and clean it up. Even though it was factory fitted will it still be the same as an aftermarket or later fitting?

The only bad rust I have of the car is the sway bar that holds the rear door and around the rear doors where the wiring goes in so is you remove the rubber tube from the door I would need to clean it up. apart from that it's all clean.

Also had a scare yesterday the ACE system caame on after driving down a dirt track (Did have the car raised on it's suspension) so took it for a jet wash the underside only to get the mud off and it back to normal now, Do anyone know what is causing it? is there anything I can do to prevent it happening again?

.....JJ

Thanks for your replys.

LR Nut, I will do that was just funny as I looked at it today still very clean but it don't say it not rusting inside though! What I will do is remove in and clean it up. Even though it was factory fitted will it still be the same as an aftermarket or later fitting?

The only bad rust I have of the car is the sway bar that holds the rear door and around the rear doors where the wiring goes in so is you remove the rubber tube from the door I would need to clean it up. apart from that it's all clean.

Also had a scare yesterday the ACE system caame on after driving down a dirt track (Did have the car raised on it's suspension) so took it for a jet wash the underside only to get the mud off and it back to normal now, Do anyone know what is causing it? is there anything I can do to prevent it happening again?

.....JJ

Yes all land rover rear access ladders would be fitted the same, as thats were the mounting point lies, my cousin had a nice Braemar disco, and after a while the paint around the brackets all rusted and blistered up, so taking the ladder of to clean and protect the rear door is essential and recommended :D

Ian S, Thanks for the tip. I'm selling the old disco to buy new tyres, for it but would really like to get the genuine once but there hard to find and not cheap! But I will get them looked at to be on the safe side as I'm doing a lot of travelling later in the year and I don't think I would want a tyre blowing out on me.

LR Nut, I will do that soon I'm going to the dealers soon to get service parts so while there I get new clips for the rear panel when I take it off. So I do it then and thanks for the warning.

Steve Hiatt, What age was it? £1200 for a disco and a tidy profit is going to be someone's lucky day but a Shogun!! Give me british any day! Got a Toyota and never buy another again there brilliant when working but a pain when not!

The Ace light is back on again god whats next!!

......JJ

I've just bought a 2000 X TD5 ES Auto, dark blue with full cream leather, full history, 105k for £3300.

Oddly enough also has an ACE problem, the pump is shot and it could do with a power steering

pump too as it has very little assistance at idle.

Nige, I been told to remove the pressure switch from the housing and give it a clean then try again if that fails then replace it as the light is on amber not red. You will need a long reach 28mm socket to get the switch off, I don't have one yet but getting one on Wed. I let you know if it works.

......JJ