200 Tdi Automatic

Les Brock

200Tdi Automatic

Is there a gasket that goes between the block and backplate or is it a dry fit or RTV/Hylomar etc ?

I'm asking as the box and block was already seperated, so I have no idea how it goes back together :unsure:

The manual box had a gasket fitted between

got the pic from microcat to show the fitting sequence

anyone got the bolt torques ??????

then.......whats the best way to fit the box/torque convertor without busting anything ?

no plate underneath to fit the torque convertor bolt after its all bolted up from what I can remember like on a V8

Cheers

if the backplate is the same as the manual version, I reckon it would need the gasket or sealant, doubt it'll be a dry fit, I don't have any 200tdi/autobox info to refer too.

all I can find for a 200tdi [discovery engine] to autobox is the standard flywheel housing see diagram below, as you've found & this adaptor plate, which I guess bolts on to the existing flywheel housing, [don't know for sure because I've never seen the bck of 200tdi/autobox combination]

post-20-127075276172_thumb.jpg

200Tdi Automatic

then.......whats the best way to fit the box/torque convertor without busting anything ?

Cheers

Four speed ZF: fit the torque converter to the box and then fit the lot to the engine. IIRC, there is a hole in the engine back plate through which to access the torque converter bolts.

Les - no idea about the backplate gasket, shouldn't make a lot of odds, if that joint's holding back a lot of oil you've got bigger problems....

On t/c access, I looked at doing it through the starter hole and decided it looked like an awful lot of effort, messing and potential for dropping spanners etc. I saw that one of the USA workshops (Rovers North?) had cut a square out of the bottom of the torque conv housing, so I got Mr Grinder out and made my own version. Slightly worried about weakening the bellhousing but it's passed the acid test - it's been fine.

You're welcome to come for a nosey if it'll help, you know where I am...