PTO Superwinch H14 to replace 8274

Warthog

O.k,

So i picked up a PTO H14 last year and now have been looking at getting it on the front of my 90. Offered it up in the standard superwinch bumper and ran the PTO shafts upto winch. Damn its Huge and low slung and protrude a silly amount forward. Theres no way i want to run it like it is, so have had ideas of moving it up a couple of inches in back as far possible.

Intentions are to remove the front crossmember and modify it to allow the PTO shaft to run through it. This is a compromise, but it will give me some of the approach angle back.

But am i gonna be doing all this and not really getting any benefit over the stock 8274 im running?

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Had a H14 on my truck a few years ago...

Mounted it above the crossmember, moved the PTO around to improve it sticking down...

Then went back to an 8274 :lol:

Did'nt like the lack of drive assist

I'll try and dig out the pics if you like....might take me a while to find them tho !!!!

Mark,

Had a H14 on my truck a few years ago...

Mounted it above the crossmember, moved the PTO around to improve it sticking down...

Then went back to an 8274 :lol:

Did'nt like the lack of drive assist

I'll try and dig out the pics if you like....might take me a while to find them tho !!!!

If you have some pictures of the the PTO mod, that would be good. I cant get my head around how to "Clock" the unit yet. So have come up with options to guard it.

There's no point in trying "Drive assist" then?

I sat today, Cider in hand and wieghed up the pro's and cons. The 8274, yet stock. Will do most things, but work allday continous. Whereas the PTO is a workhorse and go allday.

From a stock 8274, in comparison what would you say the line speed rates under load were like?

Cheers

Mark

You can drive-assist with a H14, in low range, but the wheels turn much faster that the winch spools in. Not that you'll need to as it just keeps on pulling and pulling. I've yet to come across a situation my H14 couldn't get me (or another burried LR) out of.

Its like comparing a shire horse with an arab stallion

Both are good at what they do but do it differently

In simple terms

H14

Huge, pull a house down, 99.999% unlikley to break

and equally unlikley to stall :lol:

Complex Drive rods and UJs need maintainance

Pig to fit, can be improved over what you have

Suited to self recovery and recovey of others when they all fail :lol:

Slower than a 8274 period, that is unless the 8274 hasn;t stalled

£6500 Commercial winch kit, last for years, super strong, a "Mongo" (see Blazeing saddles)

of a unit, big, tough, strong, OTT, and "Different". drive assist forget but the sheer grunt you don't need to :lol:

Value from £6500 new drops like a stone and £500- £900 is typical, but trickier to seel than an 8274

Light, fast, electric, with all the poss probs that can have

strong, best of the leccy bunch, upgradable (at costs) good

pulling power, Simple / easy to fit.

small comp with H14, pnkeep less -more fluid and water damage checks,

but don't have the grunt of a H14 needs big batteries maybe twins for proper pulling

and big alternator etc, can drive assist. High resale Value - always sort after

IMHO

^^^^

:)

Nige

I had one of the old Fairey units (basically the same thing) which I replaced with an 8274. Would never go back!

The PTO is a pain to fit and high maintenance. It is also sooooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow which was the main reason I took mine off.

IMHO sell the PTO winch an buy an XP motor and some plasma and keep the 8274 - I've never even needed to double line mine!

Jon

Well i got it up and running to day, had a bit of a play. Then decided that its not for me, on my 90. The 90's use is fun.

IMO This H14 PTO is outta place on my truck. If i had a 110 tow vehicle, this winch would definatly go on it. Piece of mind, if your toy gets stuck. This thing will drag, your truck and half the forest back if needed.

So if anyone fancy a H14 PTO, its back up for grabs at a reasonable price.

Cheers for the response's

Hi Mark,

A mate in the arboriculture trade is looking for one to go on a 110 Hicap, how much do you want for it?

.......If you are coming up to JJ's you could bring along :)

cheers

Steveb

O.k Steve, just let me know if he is interested. Not sure on the next trip to JJ's? But End of May, beggining of June would be the Earliest. He's still in the "SandBox" ;)

Yep JJ is back at the end of the month I think, anyway after a few texts I've passed your mobile on to my mate Jason so he will ring you :) I would imagine may or june would be fine if you are coming this way but I'll leave it to him to arrange with you and I'll fit in , thanks Mark

Steveb