Moving Defenders across the UK?

ajh

I'm looking for the best (cheapest) way to get a Defender (in this case a 90) from say, Great Yarmouth, to Britcar in Manningtree, Essex... any suggestions if I can't convince the seller to drive it down for me? The problem is even if I fly over to pick it up, I cannot get insurance on it until it is registered here, which cannot happen until it is properly imported... etc...

Get a delivery company whos drivers use trade plates, they insure the vehicle.

Such as:- Here

At work we use a company called "Cargoes", haven't got the number to hand but a google revealed this, (although I think they changed it recently".

Tel: 01327 323131

2 Kingthorn Park, Bradden Road, Greens Norton, Towcester, NN12 8BS

Should be cheaper than on a lorry.

Mark.

a word of warning to all,i have now had 5 emails from this chap,in the last one he wants to send me the money by bank transfer and me to deduct transport cost and pay the seller,says he is in canada,i now wonder if he is nigerian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems straight enough Chris? would contact him directly rather than Flame him here!

Bank transfers safe if enough time left to clear fully! and you did want the business in the first placewink.gif

I wouldn't - it might be completely genuine but it's a common way of working a scam. You could be left very exposed legally and financially if there's anything dodgy about the transaction. If he's genuine he'll sort out paying the seller directly and just settle up with your for the transport - if not walk away, it's not worth the risk.

So, you think a direct transfer to the seller is safe then? What happens if the shipper shows up and finds nothing at the address? As far as I know a transfer cannot be reversed after the fact.

And just to be clear I am intending on buying more Defenders for import and asked if he would be interested in acting on that end as a trusted agent to handle making sure the payment is received in exchange for a real vehicle. I thought that might be a reasonable approach since if I got a dealer to do it the whole thing would incurr VAT which I do not know if I could reclaim it or not. Last time I flew over in person to do the transaction which is a lot of overhead since it is one at a time, if I had the capital to get more at once it would be a lot more viable.

AJH

I have changed your password

when I get an email from you from the correct registered email address for you

I will send you your passsword.

if you are the correct ajh you will have an email to the correct email account used to register your lr4x4.com account

just trying to confirm your account has not been compromised.

ajh - I'm not attacking you personally at all, but you have to realise that this site is frequently targeted by all sorts of lowlifes from simple filth/pill/random anything spammers to more sophisticated scams. Most we catch before they ever become visable on the site (which is why we suffer the inconvenience of mod approval for new users), but one thing that is much more difficult to guard against is a scammer using a compromised account belonging to an estabilished user. What you are asking fits a common pattern of internet scams (advance payment with part of the funds to go to a third party, large sums of money involved, transaction carried out across international borders).

I don't know how safe using direct bank transfer makes the transaction - I would imagine that the transaction could still be reversed if it was found to have come from a compromised bank account which was used fraudulently, for instance, but I'm no expert on legal or financial matters.

If your request is genuine then, given the community around this website, it's quite likely you can find mutual aquaintances to vouch for each other and put your minds at rest, but I would warn all users to avoid arranging transactions like this through the site alone, as you can never be certain you are communicating with the person you think you are.

I have bought vehicles and sent across to Canada before. From what i remember apart from them having to be absolutely spotless clean and over a certain age, i had to issue a "bill of sale" i think it was called. I put the vehicle into my own name before shipping to canada to make things easier.

I later got stung by the DVLA for an untaxed vehicle - but a letter in reply to them saying that it had been exported cleared that one up.

Oh - and we (my canadian friend and I) dealt over the phone & email so knew things were genuine.

Gordon

Seems straight enough Chris? would contact him directly rather than Flame him here!

Bank transfers safe if enough time left to clear fully! and you did want the business in the first placewink.gifi am certainly not flaming anyone,but this type of transaction was exposed a few years ago as a sophisticated scam originating from africa,the scenario is the money is paid in to my account,it appears as cleared funds,i pay for the truck and my costs for collection/delivery,2 months down the line the issuing bank reclaim the money from my account,so thanks but no thanks,i will happily collect a vehicle and deliver it,but that is as far as it goes,chris.