re-built defender gearbox

I'm about to fork out for a new release bearing and clutch for my defender 90, I'm going for a single mass billet flywheel and heavy duty clutch from Rakeway. While the lot is in parts I thought I might also go for an Ashcroft rebuilt box ( my present box is not the sweetest 90 I've ever changed gear with .... ).

There is a good price on exchange and fit with one of Ashcrofts recommended garages.. does anyone have any experience they can share, I'd appreciate a little help now rather than find out the hard way later.

Thanks in anticipation

I'm about to fork out for a new release bearing and clutch for my defender 90, I'm going for a single mass billet flywheel and heavy duty clutch from Rakeway. While the lot is in parts I thought I might also go for an Ashcroft rebuilt box ( my present box is not the sweetest 90 I've ever changed gear with .... ).

There is a good price on exchange and fit with one of Ashcrofts recommended garages.. does anyone have any experience they can share, I'd appreciate a little help now rather than find out the hard way later.

Thanks in anticipation

Have an Ashcroft transfer and gearbox which have been in for 5 years and both still going strong. A few leaks and a lose grub screw (which was sorted easily enough)are the only problems I've had.

Mark

I'm not to happy with my Ashcroft units, the main LT77 is fine, no problems but the LT230 supplied does have a very bad oil leak on the intermediate shaft.

Have they offered to do anything about it/refund at all?

the best thing about a forum like this is the chance to air any concerns / experience for the benefit of all the members.

I haven't the time to take a chance on a dodgy fit, ( my vehicle gets me to work, if I don't work I don't get paid .... ) so a good recommendation is always appreciated !

I know its a pain cos you are phoning from abroad, but try giving them a ring perhaps? I find that emails are often overlooked. I had a slight problem with my recon LT77 - wouldnt engage reverse. They booked it in to one of their fitters soon after i had fitted the box myself and the problem was sorted with a new plunger mechanism. I got the impression that if i wasnt local, they would have allowed me to use any garage they had approved.

They replied to my email but not to my question on the intermediate shaft, I did buy the box in 2006, only fitted it in 2007 and the leaking started to become very bad early last year. Mileage of the box at this stage +/- 18.000 but the leakage started somewhere around the 10.000 miles mark. It took me a while to find out where the oil was coming from.....

Anyway the bottom line is that they are a respectable company with a good track record but also delivering units which are not as perfect as they should be.

Quote: http://forums.lr4x4....opic=48673&st=0

A tip for the intermediate shaft that I came across via a magazine photo coverage of Ashcrofts changing the ratio of the transfer case: they replace the o ring on the shaft then run silicone sealant on the shaft and the hole in the casing. It's a bit belt and braces but when I get down to the rebuild I will follow their advice.