Planning permision to extend a workshop.

jules

As some of you know I’m a construction manager but I don't have much dealings with Council planners.

This morning I have been asked to remove a mezzanine floor from a large hub room and get it weighed in for scrap. It is basically the size of a double garage frame and would be a very simple way to double the size of my garage and all I would need to do is felt the top and build infill timber panels and put a set of doors on the front.

The frame is the hard part which I can have for the scrap price

Does anyone know if I need planning permission for this as its 100ft from the road and not visible and its behind the house.

I think you allowed a certain amount of cubic metres for a garage, more than this I think you need permission, I think also that if it has electrics etc these need to comply with building regs, best bet is to ring you local council as they are all a bit different

Mike

As Mike says, your only way to be 100% is ring the council, but be careful how you describe it - remember it will be a temporary structure (bolt together) which helps.

If you read all the rules you'll go cross-eyed, there are numerous exemptions for under a certain height/width/area, temporary construction, more than 1m from a boundary, more than 20m from the road, etc. etc. a lot of the rules seem to contradict each other.

Personally I'd just build it, if anyone notices / grumbles then flog it on eBay, miketomcat will probably have it :lol:

Indeed... been looking into this myself lately. Unofficially if its not going to cause your neighbours any problems and you get on with them ok I'd probably just build it.

Different councils have different rules, but IIRC if its made from timber then it has to be a couple of meters away from boundries as it could be a fire hazzard... how the hell that works when fence panels are made of wood I'll never know!!

Also has a bit to do with the percentage of ground coverage as a whole of the plot size.

Eastleigh Borough Council planbning dept are really good though... they have a drop in centre where you can just walk in and ask your questions.

D :)

I believe the key phrase to be 'permitted development'. Under this scheme you are allowed to develop your site without planning permission, although Building Regulations are not suspended.

There are limits to the amount of development that is permitted without permission, so it is best to look first at your Council Website, especially if you don't want to draw attention to what you are thinking about.

Have in mind the ground area of your plot, the ground area of your current buildings, and how much development you have done already.

I appreciate you might still go ahead with the 'build it anyway' approach, but I think it's better to have an idea of how close you are sailing to the wind before you start.

HTH

Jules,

The interactive house guide here shows what the rules are within permitted development in a nice easy to understand way :P

Dave

I am an Architect based in scotland so the rules will vary but the principles should be similar but I would advise that you get it properly verified from the planning dept.

In Scotland whe have premitted development rights which also apply in England. (There are differences so I am being careful) we are allowed to build a structure of any size in the back gqarden as long as it is more than 5 metres away from the house, is not more than 4 metres in height and does not reduce the distance from a building to a public road or right of way. i.e. if you have a public footpath at the back of the house you may require planning permission for whatever you build.

As I said the principles are similar and I know in England there are permitted development rights so I would discuss the proposals in principle with them. The Council usually has a duty planning officer who will be able to guide you properly.

If I can assist further let me know.

as long as it is more than 5 metres away from the house, is not more than 4 metres in height

These were the rules for building my garage/workshop without planning permission in my rear garden. If i wanted to go higher than 4m i would of had to apply for planning permission.

I think its the 4M high thats the issue. I spoke to my local planning officer (Cheshire) he was surprisingly helpful, and gave me lots of advice, the ruling here is that the garage can be upto 50% of your original garden, provided its more than 5M away from a public highway, and less than 4M high.

My advice would be speak to the local planning officer, but I wouldnt expect much of an issue, based on the fact that your not overlooked etc.

Rich.

These were the rules for building my garage/workshop without planning permission in my rear garden. If i wanted to go higher than 4m i would of had to apply for planning permission.

Dengie

yes you are totally correct and I stated that this is permitted development i.e. development that does not require planning permission.

mad.gif

My wife thinks my workshops are big enough....

If anyone is after a steel frame about the size of a double garage with a flat top but very very stronge and loads of beams to hang stuff from drop me a line.

Jules

mad.gif

My wife thinks my workshops are big enough....

If anyone is after a steel frame about the size of a double garage with a flat top but very very stronge and loads of beams to hang stuff from drop me a line.

Jules

Jules

Suggest an underground garage :banned: that is what I am currently working on :rolleyes: which I am hoping will be finished later this year so I can start restoring my CSK. :i-m_so_happy::rofl:

As some of you know I’m a construction manager but I don't have much dealings with Council planners.

This morning I have been asked to remove a mezzanine floor from a large hub room and get it weighed in for scrap. It is basically the size of a double garage frame and would be a very simple way to double the size of my garage and all I would need to do is felt the top and build infill timber panels and put a set of doors on the front.

The frame is the hard part which I can have for the scrap price

Does anyone know if I need planning permission for this as its 100ft from the road and not visible and its behind the house.

From what a friend did in the past, he had a massive shed ( double car garage size ), however to put it into his back garden without planning permission, he fitted wheels onto the corners, so it was a 'temporary' structure, and simply buried the wheels ( until it needed moving of course ! :P )

Also remember that Google Earth and such now exist, so there is more than likely an aerial picture of your property...

Councils have been known to look at this if you are applying for retrospective planning permission in order to work out how long the structure has been there!!!