Crankcase Breather Filter (Where is It)

rog k

Hi All

I have read about changing this filter for a BMW mod but I am new to Freelanders and not a very good mechanic but I like to try.

Please can someone explain how I find it and what to do and also I have read on other sites that you can just change the innards of the filter which is cheaper and easier.

I don't know if I have explained myself properly as I am retired and a slow learner.

2002 Freelander td4 es auto.

Roger.

Hi and welcome

The crankcase breather is a device which seperates oil contained in the air circulated round the engine. If its not cleaned / replaced then the engine can pressurise and oil will be forced out of the dipstick tube and anywhere else!

The guts can be found by removing the top engine cover, then the air cleaner assembly. You will see it behind the injector piping and glow plug wiring. Its held in place with Torx bolts so you'll need a Torx driver.

There is an entire plastic BMW replacement part - if you search on here then you should find the post i made complete with pics. If you get stuck PM me.

Hi

Thank you very much rustymark I can now go ahead and have a look with a bit of confidence,Will it be in my interest to purchase a set of Torx driver set or see if I can borrow some just for this job.

Again Thank You.

Roger.

Hi

Thank you very much rustymark I can now go ahead and have a look with a bit of confidence,Will it be in my interest to purchase a set of Torx driver set or see if I can borrow some just for this job.

Again Thank You.

Roger.

You can never have enough tools... buy some! ;)

Here a picture of the little blighter

6987d1219955415-td4-crankcase-filter-modified-bmw-part.jpg