engine probelm

scotty43210

just brought a freelander when i was driving it back after about 80 miles it cut out when i put my foot on the accelatar it wouldnt do anything like there was no petrol then when i tried starting it up it would turn over but wouldnt start like there was no petrol then after a while of leaving it and it cooled down it started. The next day i took it to the garage and they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it and they said head gasket was fine two days later when the weather was hot after driving it for 20 mins it cut out again and after leaving it a while it started again i got a feeling its the petrol pump its a 1.8 petrol k series engine

hey scottie, theres loadsa possibilities.

could be fuel pump relay or fuse, injection sensor, mass air fflow meter, fuel filter, fuel pump, not sure what the sensor is called but it stops the engine from overheating too much and cuts it out to save on damage. thats the ones i know. theres more than that too but im not too sure bout em

hey scottie, theres loadsa possibilities.

could be fuel pump relay or fuse, injection sensor, mass air fflow meter, fuel filter, fuel pump, not sure what the sensor is called but it stops the engine from overheating too much and cuts it out to save on damage. thats the ones i know. theres more than that too but im not too sure bout em

ok mate cheers whats the best thing to do the if took it to land rover would they be able to find it on the computer

Working from the basics, if it cuts out when hot then it's something which is affected by heat and can stop the engine dead. A favourite for this could be the ignition coil, which is bolted to the block and would be a single point of failure. Likewise the crank position sensor on the gearbox. Both of those can fail when hot then recover when cold, and both will stop you from getting any spark. The crank sensor will stop it from doing anything as the ECU relies on it to "see" the engine rotating.

I'm afraid I don't think any of the things dubtike listed are very likely causes, especially as it doesn't actually have an airflow meter or injection sensor :P

Working from the basics, if it cuts out when hot then it's something which is affected by heat and can stop the engine dead. A favourite for this could be the ignition coil, which is bolted to the block and would be a single point of failure. Likewise the crank position sensor on the gearbox. Both of those can fail when hot then recover when cold, and both will stop you from getting any spark. The crank sensor will stop it from doing anything as the ECU relies on it to "see" the engine rotating.

I'm afraid I don't think any of the things dubtike listed are very likely causes, especially as it doesn't actually have an airflow meter or injection sensor :P

it still gets a spark when it dont start had it put on the computer and there are no eletrical faults with and they have said it is more likey the fuel pump coz its a common fault with them

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen this problem a couple of times and on both occasions it was the fuel pump. They contain a "non replaceable" paper type filter built into the pump, this gets blocked and under load conditions can't flow enough fuel. A new pump is massive money!!! but I have had lots of success cleaning out the filters and the pump working perfectly afterwards.

Ah yes, I remember replacing that fuel filter on mine as I figured it probably needed it after 150k :lol: it's a bit of a fiddle but not too tricky. The part is available new for not much money.

I have a similar problem with my Freelander . The engine will start when cold and will run for 24 hours non stop without any problems, however if the engine is stopped it will not start ( No power to sparking plugs)unless is kept to cool down for an hour or so.

Main dealers have checked and reported that the crank censsors (2 No's)need replacement.

Waitting for spares and will be replaced after two days costing 260 pounds and 2 Hrs labour.