Finding Used LHD Defenders

ajh

Would anyone have advice on finding used LHD Defenders? Buying RHD and converting them may not be an option in the future and so far any I have seen on Ebay have been significantly more expensive than the exact same RHD models.

OK, sorry I was not clear. Technically I can convert them here myself. Legally if they're to be sold into Quebec now they have to have a LHD VIN, can the VIN be re-issued to indicate LHD after a conversion there? It cannot here.

Also, I'm talking about ones that are not twice the price of the exact same RHD ones. I'm familiar with most of the suggestions and they've always been quite a bit more expensive. I was thinking more of a way to track them down in markets where they were produced and sold originally as LHD. The problem with Ebay is all the countries where Defenders are sold as LHD speak something other than English, which makes it a bit more of a hassle and it's already a hassle. :)

i think you'll find at the moment lhd ones going for quite a bit more than rhd. UK used car prices are pretty cheap and combined with the current weak pound, lots of vehicles are heading off shore, so you've got a bit of competition in your hunt for lhd vehicles.

english is pretty widely spoken in north western europe, so you could try germany, benelux countries and scandinavia, but i think you'll pay much more buying from one of these countries.

another option might be the middle east.

English is spoken, but the websites, including Ebay are not available in English in those countries... as far as I can tell there's no internationalization switch on Ebay to even get the interface in English when browsing. :(

It's more the mechanism for finding them I'm worried about, all the LHD ones I find seem to be ex-Military, still expensive, and in need of serious work. The hassle of buying non-written-off junkers and re-building them to preserve the VIN is a bit of an added cost as well.

I know they're harder to find and will be a bit more expensive for sure, was just hoping to find some new ways to search for them.

LHD Land Rovers in the UK are often pretty expensive listed as a second car for a holiday home & such.

Have a look at the European continent, most of the cars are LHD there. Prices are higher there, but most of the time cheaper than a LHD car in the UK.

Holland tends to be cheaper than Germany, but all continental European countries are more expensive than the UK. Try this [0]=516&postcode=&distance=&pmin=&pmax=&aw[26][min]=&aw[26][max]=&q="]site

The Dutch are usually pretty happy to write/chat in English when you contact them too :)

Swap to google chrome and you will automatically be given the option to translate each page detected not to be in English.

Cheers

• 2 years later...
Have a word with http://www.sussexlandrover.com/'>Jonathan Lane 44 (0)7974050570. He is more than conversant with producing LHD trucks to whatever spec you want.He also has past experience building and exporting Landrovers to Canada.
old thread I know, but does anyone on here know this guy? Been trying to get in contact with him. Kind of important.

i think you'll find at the moment lhd ones going for quite a bit more than rhd. UK used car prices are pretty cheap and combined with the current weak pound, lots of vehicles are heading off shore, so you've got a bit of competition in your hunt for lhd vehicles.

english is pretty widely spoken in north western europe, so you could try germany, benelux countries and scandinavia, but i think you'll pay much more buying from one of these countries.

another option might be the middle east.

Do not waste your time in main land europe!!! I live here, if I said it was stupid prices then that would be an understatement!!! They sell whole cars expensive and broken for parts they make almost twofold the price!!!

You might get lucky but even rotten D1s with no MOT are 2000 euro!!!!

English is spoken, but the websites, including Ebay are not available in English in those countries... as far as I can tell there's no internationalization switch on Ebay to even get the interface in English when browsing. sad.gif

It's more the mechanism for finding them I'm worried about, all the LHD ones I find seem to be ex-Military, still expensive, and in need of serious work. The hassle of buying non-written-off junkers and re-building them to preserve the VIN is a bit of an added cost as well.

I know they're harder to find and will be a bit more expensive for sure, was just hoping to find some new ways to search for them.

I use google translate when using non UK ebay sites or my current browser google chrome can be set up to auto translate for you.

you can use bablfish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/) to do web page translations from any language to English I often use it when buying from non UK/US ebay sites.

Jason.

Similarly, my favourite is to use Google Chrome Browser, and set the automatic translation option, so it detects the language and translates each page automagically.

Chris

old thread I know, but does anyone on here know this guy? Been trying to get in contact with him. Kind of important.

Well looking on the wayback machine http://web.archive.org/web/20110128150452/http://sussexlandrover.com/ it seems our very own MickeyW created the website, might be worth sending Mickey a PM to see if he knows anymore about what happened to the guy.

Similarly, my favourite is to use Google Chrome Browser, and set the automatic translation option, so it detects the language and translates each page automagically.Chris

Post was back in 2010 when Google translate/chrome translate didn't work that we'll, I use google translate now.

Jason

Thanks Retro, but how does one get in contact with him. Reason being I purchased a very important part for my lse soft dash off him at the start of December and it still hasn't turned up. I've tried emailing him, stalking him on faceache and eBay, and nothing. Its not about the money, its about the part I need (dash grab handle for soft dash), he said it was sent, but on requesting a tracking number and various other emails, I've heard nothing.

Tempted to fly over have a holiday and track him down!

Rant over