commisioning 200tdi

spawneydave

not to far away from having my newly fitted 200tdi ready to start,It occured to me that with the oil filter & oil cooler all newly fitted it will take a fair bit of oil to fill the full system,is there procedure to ensure that it has enough oil before running it ?.Also the deisil injection is new to me, does the pump need priming,and if so how is that done ?

ensure the battery is fully charged, take the fuel shutoff soleniod wire on the FIP off & crank the engine over until the oil pressure light goes out, reconnect the soleniod wire & just start up, the fuel system will self bleed, it may run a bit lumpy for a minute or 2 but will soon settle to a steady idle [idle neds to be between 750 to 800rpm]

ensure the battery is fully charged, take the fuel shutoff soleniod wire on the FIP off & crank the engine over until the oil pressure light goes out, reconnect the soleniod wire & just start up, the fuel system will self bleed, it may run a bit lumpy for a minute or 2 but will soon settle to a steady idle [idle neds to be between 750 to 800rpm]

Western

Does the fuel shutoff solenoid need power whilst the engine is running, or power to kill the engine..? i.e. is it normally closed and the power holds it open..??

Cheers

Pete

Western

Does the fuel shutoff solenoid need power whilst the engine is running, or power to kill the engine..? i.e. is it normally closed and the power holds it open..??

Cheers

Pete

It needs power to start the engine AND while the engine is running, if the fuel solenoid wire is pulled off while the engine is running it stops...

Brian

It needs power to start the engine AND while the engine is running, if the fuel solenoid wire is pulled off while the engine is running it stops...

Brian

Thanks Brian

So on a 200TDi series conversion, which wire does it pick up..? White or Red/white..??

Cheers

Peter

if yours was a petrol as mine was you just use the wire that would normaly feed the coil the wire just needs extending or replacing with a longer piece of wire, i can't tell you the colour as i have sold the s11a now.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.

if yours was a petrol as mine was you just use the wire that would normaly feed the coil the wire just needs extending or replacing with a longer piece of wire, i can't tell you the colour as i have sold the s11a now.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.

Graham

Mines a 2.25 diesel.

Cheers

Pete

when i did this conversion on mine, i had to make a few changes to the ignition wiring to get a live feed while the engine was cranking. i think i bridged the wire that used to feed the glowplugs and the ignition live feed.

Ian

when i did this conversion on mine, i had to make a few changes to the ignition wiring to get a live feed while the engine was cranking. i think i bridged the wire that used to feed the glowplugs and the ignition live feed.

Ian

Richard at Glencoyne suggests using a relay to bridge from the glowplug circuit into the solenoid - I'll work out what I need and I'll make up a relay/loom to suit.

Cheers

Pete

Just a thought. The 200TDi features a thermostat in the oil filter housing to the oil cooler, doesn't it? Won't it then need to get the oil hot enough to open the thermostat before the cooler will fill with oil?

Just a thought. The 200TDi features a thermostat in the oil filter housing to the oil cooler, doesn't it? Won't it then need to get the oil hot enough to open the thermostat before the cooler will fill with oil?

it won't affect the initail cranking start up oil pressure, once the engine is running & left to idle for a few minutes, the oil stat will operate once the engine is at or above 74 degree C.

it won't affect the initail cranking start up oil pressure, once the engine is running & left to idle for a few minutes, the oil stat will operate once the engine is at or above 74 degree C.

thanks for the replys guys, so once the oil cooler kicks in i presume i will need to top up the sump oil level ?

Mine was a Deisil so i used a relay as per the Glencoe suggestion fed from the glow plug circuit, I used a 5 pin changeover with two inputs & the white wire connected to pin 30, so after startup the power for the stop soleniod comes from the white feed to the fuse box.

Before you start the engine - make sure the oil level on the dipstick is close to, or at, the high mark. The amount in the cooler is irrelevant really. Turn the key and let the engine idle for a short while. Re-check the oil level after the engine has been off for at least 30-minutes to allow it to settle. As long as the level is between the marks - it'll be fine.

Les.