Tube tyres on tubeless rims

Had a rather nice 110 in today for the MOT, and it has tubed tyres (General Super All Grip) on tubeless steel rims, but no inner tubes. I can't seem to find out if it should or not have inner tubes on it with this arrangement. The best answer I could get was 'they might go down slowly, but possibly not'

Anyone got any idea?

Les. :)

Same as wot Mark90 said ^^^

You shouldn't really put a tube in a tubeless rim but on no account should tube type tyres be fitted tubeless as the beads aren't designed to seal properly. They will deflate slowly (been there tried that and know others that have too) and this could be somewhat dangerous to say the least.... you might get around it with a tonne of bead sealer but it is still a bad idea and an insurance company would walk away, damn sure about that :blink:

The other thing that is bluddy dangerous (and some people do it here) is fitting tubeless type tyres, with no tube in, on the old tube type 5.5 Defender steel rims! No double hump inside the wheel to retain the bead, so nothing to stop it popping off. I've never seen one come off, but it could happen if the tyre deflated a bit and then you bashed it on a kerb or something, very easily. I've seen rolled vehicles where the tyres have been popped off a proper tubeless rim with a hard sideways impact.

Really though, tube tyres want to be on tube rims with a tube in, and tubeless tyres on tubeless rims, and never the twain shall meet... mixing and matching is not a good idea.

Hmmm, interesting comments. The owner of the vehicle took it to ATS and they told her that a tube type tyre on a tubeless rim without an inner tube is ok, as the only difference between a tubed and tubeless tyre is some thin ribs on the rubber itself on the inside. They also told her that whenever you only replace just two tyres on a vehicle, you should always fit them on the rear at least for the first couple of hundred miles.

Hmmm, interesting comments. The owner of the vehicle took it to ATS and they told her that a tube type tyre on a tubeless rim without an inner tube is ok, as the only difference between a tubed and tubeless tyre is some thin ribs on the rubber itself on the inside. They also told her that whenever you only replace just two tyres on a vehicle, you should always fit them on the rear at least for the first couple of hundred miles.

Part of that is true in that tube type tyres tend to be much better finished inside than tubeless ones (which is a good reason for not putting tubes in tubeless tyres by the way - the tube will chafe on the ribs and you get a puncture, it happens a lot here with people tubing things like 235/85R16 Grabber MT's to put them on the old Rover tube type steel rims, and yes I know you shouldn't put a 235 on a 5.5in rim before somebody points it out but many people do it anyway!).

But I can say from personal observation that both the General SAG xply's and Avon Rangemasters (perhaps the most commonly found tube type tyres on LR's) will very often NOT seal properly if you fit them tubeless, unless you are very lucky or use tonnes of bead sealant. Tubeless tyres on the other hand, almost never need bead sealant assuming the rim is in good nick (a pitted bead on an old rim can do though).

I don't use either type and never have but among my other sins I sell a lot of tyres through the shop at work, almost all are 4x4 tyres and probably 70% for Land Rovers, we sometimes get requests from customers to do things like this, the other common one is fitting tubeless tyres to the old Rover tube type rim, with a TR15 tubeless valve, which is something else that should never be done because tube type rims don't have the "double hump" to retain the bead securely. Usually make them sign a bit of paper to say that they accept that we think it is a dumb idea and if they die as a result of their own stupidity it is entirely their own fault and we don't care because we told them so (worded a bit more tactfully than that though). The customer is always right! :)

They also told her that whenever you only replace just two tyres on a vehicle, you should always fit them on the rear at least for the first couple of hundred miles.

Euromaster in France told me the precise opposite, put the new tyres on the front; I'd tend to give them credit as they are in a small town, are the most popular tyre place in town, have plenty of customers with 4wd's given the snow, + knowing the French, could be risking an invite to a Molotov cocktail party for getting it wrong :ph34r::lol:

of course that could be snow-specific advice