Disco axle on a 110?

Hi all, my query is this:

My 110 CSW (GVW 2999kg) has a salisbury rear axle, I know they are strong but it leaks loads of oil, it clunks and bangs a bit and weighs a lot and replacements are expensive.

I dont overload the 110 -no more than my old disco- so Im thinking of fitting a discovery rear axle, there are plenty of them about, diffs are cheaper and easier to replace, locking diff options are cheaper and easier to fit and it wont act as a ground anchor in the dirt.

Has anyone on here got experience of this? Do I need the prop lengthening (or is there a standard part that fits?) Do I have to weld new spring mounts on (or do they bolt) and is there anything else to catch me out?...

Assuming you ignore the fact it's not rated for the load and the legally dubious implications...

Spring seats would need changing, as 110 springs are wider. You'd need a slightly longer prop too as you say.

Other than that I think the axle geometry is all the same, trailing arms/a-frame etc. should all link up no problems.

Hi all, my query is this:

My 110 CSW (GVW 2999kg) has a salisbury rear axle, I know they are strong but it leaks loads of oil, it clunks and bangs a bit and weighs a lot and replacements are expensive.

I dont overload the 110 -no more than my old disco- so Im thinking of fitting a discovery rear axle, there are plenty of them about, diffs are cheaper and easier to replace, locking diff options are cheaper and easier to fit and it wont act as a ground anchor in the dirt.

Has anyone on here got experience of this? Do I need the prop lengthening (or is there a standard part that fits?) Do I have to weld new spring mounts on (or do they bolt) and is there anything else to catch me out?...

110CSW if it has the self levelling unit fitted is 2950kg,

by fitting a Disco Rover type axle it equats to down rating the vehicles load carrying abilities & insurers should be informed of the change which could result in their not continuing cover.

would be better all round to source a like for like replacement or repiar the existing unit.

110CSW if it has the self levelling unit fitted is 2950kg,

by fitting a Disco Rover type axle it equats to down rating the vehicles load carrying abilities & insurers should be informed of the change which could result in their not continuing cover.

would be better all round to source a like for like replacement or repiar the existing unit.

I've also got a similar leaky salisbury and I'm looking at getting a reconditioned unit to replace it. (It sounds a bit dodgy fitting something that can't cope with the load rating)

Can anybody recommend where to source one.

Mark

If yours is just leaking Mark, is there any reason why you can't fix it? It may be a lot cheaper than sourcing a replacement.

Les.

Trouble was when I've tried to repair the leaking pinion seal in the past (i'm now on the fourth one, they seem to start leaking again after a few months)I forgot about the collapsible bearing spacer so I don't know if the nut is tightened correcly. How difficult a job is if to fit a new spacer? If it means dismantling the diff I'd need to make a spreader to stretch the casing.

Mark

If you've changed the pinion seal then you've had the pinion nut off, if it keeps going wrong then it's entirely possible you either haven't re-tightened it properly or the pinion bearings need changing. I'm sure there's been write-ups of rebuilding a Salisbury axle before now, Andy did about three of them on his Ibex swapping diff ratios etc.

As has been said, fitting a Rover axle to the back (unless it's the later type as fitted under late 110's) is going to mean down-plating the vehicle and potential hassle in doing so.

I'm sure the big issue for DIY salisbury rebuilds is the case spreader. Its an expensive part to buy so unless its possible to fabricate something instead then it makes the whole job cost a lot.

FWIW i've just baught a drum braked salisbury for £55 and its in near perfect condition. Only a tiny tiny amount of wear on the splines and next to no backlash in the diff itself.

People selling them seem to think they're minted from gold, and want stupid money, you just need to look around, get yourself on ebay etc and you'll find one. In my search i was offered BROKEN axles for almost double what i paid for mine in the end!

The main problem beside the case spreader is that I don't feel confident in rebuilding a diff, setting backlash with dial gauges etc - whats all that then, there are load of places I can get a rover diff rebilt off the shelf, with or without lockers.

I wouldn't of thought there much difference between the GVW of a 110 CSW and a disco, how much are discovery commercials plated for anyway?

I suppose another option may be a wolf or late type 110 axle - but then again how much are they!

The main problem beside the case spreader is that I don't feel confident in rebuilding a diff, setting backlash with dial gauges etc - whats all that then, there are load of places I can get a rover diff rebilt off the shelf, with or without lockers.

I wouldn't of thought there much difference between the GVW of a 110 CSW and a disco, how much are discovery commercials plated for anyway?

I suppose another option may be a wolf or late type 110 axle - but then again how much are they!

About £300 from a breaker.