Overhaul of a 200 TDI Power Steering Pump

Whilst I’ve had the engine out of my car I’ve been trying to do all of those little jobs that you never seem to get around to doing.

Time for the steering pump. It’s had a small weep from around the casing, and as I’ve done a couple of Disco pumps in the past I thought I’d treat it to new seals and bearings:

DSC_9134.jpg

Knock off outer casing

DSC_9135.jpg

DSC_9136.jpg

Magnet in the casing

DSC_9137.jpg

Remove o-ring

DSC_9138.jpg

Undo front pulley

DSC_9139.jpg

DSC_9140.jpg

DSC_9141.jpg

I like to centre pop everything so I can line stuff back up when re-assembling

DSC_9142.jpg

Measure position of pulley flange so you refit back at the right depth

DSC_9143.jpg

Flange is interference fir – you need to pull it off

DSC_9146.jpg

DSC_9147.jpg

rubbish!

That never happened before. The flanges on the Disco pumps I’ve done weren’t cast. If I’d have realised, I’d have warmed it up a bit first. Oh well, you live and learn.

DSC_9148.jpg

Grind a cross in it taking great care not to go through completely and mark the shaft. Support the shaft and one sharp smack with a hammer and chisel and the flange will split

DSC_9149.jpg

DSC_9150.jpg

DSC_9151.jpg

DSC_9152.jpg

DSC_9153.jpg

DSC_9154.jpg

DSC_9155.jpg

DSC_9156.jpg

DSC_9157.jpg

DSC_9158.jpg

From memory, the pump is a little different to the Disco version inside. I can’t remember the Disco pump having that thin oilite support bearing at the end of the shaft.

In the next photo you can see the main front bearing with the oil scroll.

DSC_9159.jpg

These are the replacement bearings that I’ve used before to replace the front bearing. I couldn’t get one at the time that was the same length, so fitted two in line. Nor do these have the scroll.

Both other pumps never failed (one did about 100K on them) using these type replacements, so my experience tells me that the scroll isn’t essential.

DSC_9160.jpg

DSC_9161.jpg

Anyhow. I couldn’t measure any wear on either of the bearings, so I didn’t replace them. These in the pump casing simply push out, and new ones in quite easily.

DSC_9163.jpg

I decided to replace the front seal as a matter of course though – although there was no leak.

I had a spare drive flange from a Disco, unfortunately it had been butchered and wasn’t any good. So had to set about to make one out of the piece of steel on the right.

DSC_9171.jpg

DSC_9175.jpg

DSC_9177.jpg

DSC_9178.jpg

DSC_9179.jpg

DSC_9183.jpg

DSC_9184.jpg

DSC_9185.jpg

DSC_9186.jpg

DSC_9188.jpg

DSC_9190.jpg

DSC_9192.jpg

I decided not to make the flange as ‘long’ as the Defender one. This was on the basis that the Disco one never slipped on the shaft, so why would it need all that extra surface area.

Disco flange, new flange and Defender version.

DSC_9193.jpg

DSC_9194.jpg

DSC_9195.jpg

DSC_9196.jpg

Re-assembly – make new outer o-ring.

DSC_9197.jpg

DSC_9198.jpg

DSC_9199.jpg

DSC_9200.jpg

DSC_9201.jpg

DSC_9202.jpg

DSC_9203.jpg

DSC_9205.jpg

DSC_9206.jpg

Bought the seal on line from here: http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php?osCsid=9f3e1d8d0d37cad81e49bc8f60403469.

Had the choice of two. Nitrile one for under £2, and a better Viton rubber version for about £7 ish. Forgot to take photo of fitting it.

I went for the ‘expensive’ one!

DSC_9208.jpg

DSC_9209.jpg

DSC_9210.jpg

I use some silicone sealant on the rear housing o-ring.

DSC_9211.jpg

Remember to line the cover back up with your reference marks and using a bit of wood to spread the load, give it a clout to push it back on. I enter the banjo bolt to ensure all lines up – you can just see it behind the wood.

DSC_9212.jpg

Now to fitting the front drive flange. I decided to turn up a bit of bar so that I could press it on to the correct depth in one fell swoop.

DSC_9213.jpg

DSC_9214.jpg

DSC_9219.jpg

DSC_9221.jpg

DSC_9222.jpg

Heat the flange. It’s a couple of thou interference.

DSC_9223.jpg

Put counterbored bar on flange and tap it on. You do only have to tap it, not a great whack!

DSC_9224.jpg

DSC_9225.jpg

DSC_9226.jpg

Tightening up the pulley bolts – using an old v belt to hold the pulley.

DSC_9227.jpg

I marked up the flange in relation to the shaft to see if it does move. If it does, it looks like I’ll have to make another!

DSC_9228.jpg

There you go, hopefully that’ll save you a couple of hundred quid for a new pump!

Shaun

Just a quick question which part of the internals of the pump will make the power steering fluid come out of the top of the reservoir-with the lid on of course, I've got a pump in my garage that I took off my 90 as it was doing this-the one I replaced it with doesn't do this at all, I've never known anything like it for a P.A.S. pump to do that

John

Thank you :)

Just a quick question which part of the internals of the pump will make the power steering fluid come out of the top of the reservoir-with the lid on of course, I've got a pump in my garage that I took off my 90 as it was doing this-the one I replaced it with doesn't do this at all, I've never known anything like it for a P.A.S. pump to do that

John

Sounds like the pressure valve is stuck.

I didn't remove it on this pump as all was well. If you look at the photo where I'm putting silicone on the new large o-ring you'll see a slotted bolt/screw thingy.

You need to be taking this out and exploring in there. I'm a Civil Servant not hydraulics expert so can't give you a theory based 'correct' answer. If I remember correctly, the Disco version has some oil seals in there. As I didn't venture (leaving well alone) in there on this one I can't say. All I can say is it moved freely on this one.

There's nothing special in there that I'm aware of, so don't be worried about taking it apart.

I do love these home rebuild threads :) Now all I need is a lathe ;)

Mo

I couldn't agree more. I couldn't survive without mine. I've had this one for coming up 18 years, and it's been one of the best investments.

It's the fourth one I've had. My fist was a Myford. But for what I want to do I quickly found it on its limit for most of the time. If I had the space, I'd still have one as well though.

For the price of a set of wheels and tyres you can get a decent enough one and you'll wonder what you ever did without it !

Thank you for the pics and thanks for the advice too

It'll be interesting to see if that's it.

Shaun.

Shaun,

I took the pressure relief valve out like you suggested it was-it wasn't stuck in there but there was some light scoring on the plunger-had a look inside the hole where the plunger sits and couldn't see if it had any damage in there but I did clean the plunger up with a piece of very fine emery cloth will hopefully be it but the one on there at the mo seems to be working ok I will have to wait until the next time til I find out if that's fixed it-hopefully that'll be a long time away yet

John

Which Lathe have you currently got? Any advice for a first time buyer?

Luke

I've a 1958(?) 6 1/2" Colchester Student round head. It's a gap bed and 24" between centres.

Firstly - I'm not an officiado on lathes! But will try.

More questions first.

1. How much space do you have?

2. What do you think you're going to use it for?

3. Do you have 3 phase?

4. What's your budget?

PM me if you prefer.

Shaun.

Hi have just done my pump, if you leave the flange on the front of the shaft, strip the pump at the rear and remove the gear with all the holes and pins in, there is a torpedo shaped drive pin (bit like a woodruff key) remove that and the whole shaft complete with flange comes out of the front, this might help any one who hasn't got axcess to pullers and lathes...

Talk about can't see the wood for the trees!

That is so bl**dy obvious! And would've saved me plenty of time.

I think I was so focussed on removing the flange as I think (memory failure!) that is the only way to do it on a Disco pump. Good call mate.

Shaun.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Shaun, your explanation and photos are fantastic, thanks for taking the time to post this. Just wanted some advice though, I have this leak problem as well and want to go ahead with the overhaul but want to get the seals/bearings & inserts before I start taking the Disco off the road as living in rural Spain I don't have access to many LR spares and once the the thing is in bits I will have no transport. I want to order the parts on line so can you tell me what is the OD & ID of the bearing required, or better still its reference from "Simply Bearings Ltd" What about the inserts where did they come from? Do you have any specs for them or a reference. Any info would be most helpful.

Cheers

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...