rear end rumble

hi i went for a drive today and noticed that there was a judder when going up hills it seemed to be from the backend has anybody got any ideas . it has a new prop the diff seems ok i fitted new bearings . it is a big rumble you can feel it through the car . the gearbox changes smoothly and the transfer box engages ok . the judder stops when you pull off the gas . P.S the engine seems fine

Try taking the rear prop off and run in difflock to isolate the rear diff from power delivery. If still making noise, try taking rear shafts out to completely isolate it. Are you running a significant lift? What tyres are you running? Wheel balance check recently? How are the exhaust hangers?

i had a similar problem a few weeks a go - i was convinced it was the rear diff etc.

it turned out to be my o/s/r inner wheel bearing. i put on 2 new bearing and everything was smooth and silent again.

He's already fitted new bearings

so he did.... doh!

i think taking the rear shafts out sounds like a plan . the other thing is when you dip the clutch everything feels smooth wich makes me think gearbox or transfer box problem but i dont know much about them to be honest so any help would be great

Try taking the rear prop off and run in difflock to isolate the rear diff from power delivery. If still making noise, try taking rear shafts out to completely isolate it. Are you running a significant lift? What tyres are you running? Wheel balance check recently? How are the exhaust hangers?

i took the front prop off today and the juddery rumble stopped so im pretty sure its the front end . is there anyway of telling whats gone (diff or cv joints) ?

My bet would be the front prop. I had a significant rumble in mine last year - symptoms as you describe but with the exception that mine had very recently undergone a front axle overhaul (new diff, and complete rebuild of hubs).

I bit the bullet and boshed a new front prop in there. The rumble disappeared. :huh:

Could be knackered UJ's - seized sliding joint or indeed your prop balance weights may have just fallen off!