building a 100 inch

if i wanted to build a 100 inch winch challenge truck, but wanted it to be road legal what would be the best option to go for as a 90 would come into a radically change vehicle and so would a 110 so would i be best with something like a rangeover???

i dont want to upset mr dvla and have to go through an engineers report or sva and get a q plate so whats the easiest option?

To avoid the Q plate you need to avoid major chassis mods.

From what I have seen, moving engine mounts or changing a crossmember doesn't count as the above. I think inserting or removing 10" would :(

I would start with a Disco or Range Rover with a good chassis and go from there :)

Guest noggy

But then starting with a disco/RRC leaves you with a massive overhang..

Tbh id just stick with a well done up 90... theres not a lot in it!!

without knowing the laws over there, I'd look at what Devon4x4 did with there tray back 90, when they converted it from a truckcab, and did the tray the also increased the wheelbase to 100inch. no major chassis work is needed as far as I know, what I mean by this is you can leave the factory trailing arm mounts and aframe mounts where they are and juts redo the chassis from the spring perch back. run it back level, weld on new OEM spring perch and make longer TA and A frame to suit. so no cut and shunt of a 110 or 90 chassis in the mid section, this should keep the engineers happy to some degree.

this will give you a better wheelbase and probably better suspension geometry on a lifted rig

Serg

Err.....that would be altering the chassis from original spec then.... :lol:

please re-arrange these words

Worms

of

can

:ph34r:

well if you go ask an engineer what is more of an issue, cutting the middle out of a chassis and shortening/lengthening it and moding other things...or...cutting the back of a chassis like bobing a rangie which is done loads, and moving the coil mounts, which you can buy as a spare part from LR. Like I said I dont know your laws, but thought Id offer a simple way to get 100inch like D4x4 did.

IMO 100inch set up well will out perform 92.9 inch, especially on 35+ tyres,especially if the 100inch has had the benefit of the rear suspenion geometry worked on

Serg

Agreed......

Its the doing it legally that is the can of worms dry.gif

Just saying as someone who HAD to put my truck through an SVA due to the DVLA

why did you end up sva testing it?? was it the amount of mods you were changing on the log book?? or did some law enforcment types pull you??

no comment :ph34r::lol:

Why not put it through IVA and Q plate? it's not that hard. Thats how i got my 100" on the road.

no comment is a comment.......so why bother :rolleyes: if you think that there is something bad about that truck, there constrcution methods of the fact i was just offering another way for the op to think about things, let us know

Serg

why did you end up sva testing it?? was it the amount of mods you were changing on the log book?? or did some law enforcment types pull you??

Off all things it was simply changing fuel type Petrol to Diesel.......... :blink:

IE: V8 out - Tdi in !

Simple as that :huh: , they took the decision to spot check mine, the inspector decided on the spot that as I had modified the chassis from the exact original design spec it required an SVA and my V5 was destroyed by the DVLA

SVA required Sir as its no longer allowed on the road...... :(

they made an example of you just for changing faul type??

thats bad luck in its worst way.

i have herd they are getting really ontop of extream 4x4's as so many people i know was putting tax exempt bodys onto coil sprung chassis and really the only thing that was true of date was the reg no and vin.

i guess it was only a matter of time before things had to change.

Or you could use the gigglepin trailing arms which extend the wheelbase to sometging very close to 100"

clicky

Note i have no conection with gigglepin at all,

I clicked on the link but it didnt work, so i googled there website. The only TA's i could find are indeed longer (approx 300mm) but are not designed to change wheel base, yes you could incorperate them in a wheelbase change but that is not their sole purpose. they come with new chassis mounts, and thats all, so with out a new rear A frame and coil perches, you wouldnt be able to extend the wheelbase, which is what is the D4x4 is sort of done and what i was getting at. if using the stock A frame and changing the wheel base you would also have to relocate the crossmember that the A frame attaches to.

serg

I clicked on the link but it didnt work, so i googled there website. The only TA's i could find are indeed longer (approx 300mm) but are not designed to change wheel base, yes you could incorperate them in a wheelbase change but that is not their sole purpose. they come with new chassis mounts, and thats all, so with out a new rear A frame and coil perches, you wouldnt be able to extend the wheelbase, which is what is the D4x4 is sort of done and what i was getting at. if using the stock A frame and changing the wheel base you would also have to relocate the crossmember that the A frame attaches to.

serg

If you did go the route of using the Devon 4x4 lengthened trailing arms you wouldn't need to move the cross member the A frame mounts to. You could just use the Devon 4x4 A frame spacer too.

Devon 4x4 a frame extension bracket

Have a look in LRO magazine this month, there's a very nice feature on Moose's stretched 90 challenge truck. He used the standard 90 trailing arm and a-frame chassis mounts and constructed longer trailing arms and a longer a-frame to stretch the wheelbase to 101". It works extremely well!

Have a look in LRO magazine this month, there's a very nice feature on Moose's stretched 90 challenge truck. He used the standard 90 trailing arm and a-frame chassis mounts and constructed longer trailing arms and a longer a-frame to stretch the wheelbase to 101". It works extremely well!

what issue is it? I know you say "this month" but we are probably behind over here......is it actually the april issue?

If you did go the route of using the Devon 4x4 lengthened trailing arms you wouldn't need to move the cross member the A frame mounts to. You could just use the Devon 4x4 A frame spacer too.

Devon 4x4 a frame extension bracket

pretty much what i said, if using a new A frame, which would include adapting/lenghtening the oem one, you can leave the cross member be or move the cross member to suit oem A frame.....either way you will still be moving the spring perches.

the idea of longer trailing arms and A frame is good IMO

It works extremely well!

thanks for the complement PB

pretty much what i said, if using a new A frame, which would include adapting/lenghtening the oem one, you can leave the cross member be or move the cross member to suit oem A frame.....either way you will still be moving the spring perches.

the idea of longer trailing arms and A frame is good IMO

I built my truck using a 90 chassis left every thing where is was apart from changing the rear X-member and moving the spring mounts further back. The chassis and body is still exactly the same length as an org 90.

post-1650-127201932316_thumb.jpg

I made my own longer trailing arms and A frame:-

post-1650-127201810574_thumb.jpg

And i am just in the middle of changing trailing arms to "johny jointed" ones as i found the org landrover bush mounts caught the rocks, trees, etc because of the longer wheel base.

post-1650-127201858671_thumb.jpg

all of the parts you could buy off the shelf, and if you wanted to pay for the devon parts all you would need to do its find out how much longer these parts are over originals and this is how much rear wards you would need to move your mounts, but you them might require a custom rear prop shaft...

But I not saying that what i have done makes it in any way OK with regards to the DVLA, SVA etc... but i do very few if any road miles (well in this country :ph34r: )

paul

yes i will get the mag this weekend.

i dont think i will have any tech probs building it as i have done loads to landys and other vehicles over the years, plus with a top site like this the possibillitys are endless.

it was the law side of it that baffled me as if i stand a 80% chance of having to take a sva/ engineers report then i might aswell build it as a new vehicle and save the expence of buying a donor vehicle in the first place as i probable wont use much off it anyway.

i know of loads of people running old series 1's on defender coil chassis and all the rest of it, have they got away with it or are they just a slapped wrist away from having there vehicle taken off the road until the dvla are happy and they have paid all there tax exempt taxs back from when they purchased the vehicle plus fine??

these are the dark bits i am after.