How Cool Is That?

Or too cool as the case may be!

I spent the afternoon fitting a pucker Kenlowe fan to my 110 (200Tdi). This is in place of the thermostatic fan (now removed) and I also removed the cowling. I took the car out for a spin to Salisbury Plain and the temperature gauge ended up at the same place as usual (fractionally above midway), but without the fan kicking in. I know that I wasn't pushing it, nor towing today, but is it reasonable to expect that just a natural airflow through the radiator is enough to keep the engine cool?

My reason for fitting the electric fan was that as I have a veggie conversion, I want to speed up the time that the engine warms up (and thus use less diesel before it changes). I wasn't sure I was expecting just the "ram" air effect to cool the engine sufficiently!

The question I am coming to, is - Is that too be expected, or is my thermostat playing up (although only about 5 months old)

Cheers

Peter

the 200tdi in my series doesnt have any fan fitted at all at the moment and doesnt get too hot, even when i push it much harder than i should.

any time you are moving at much more than a fast walking pace, you should be getting enough cooling from the ram air effect, unless you are towing something effing heavy.

Ian

All, thanks for the quick replies. looks like I'm OK then! I'll be interested to see if it warms up any quicker without the old fan fitted. :rolleyes:

Next job on the list - fit a PTO winch. That means my crankshaft driven capstan winch should be appearing in the "For Sale" fairly soon.

Cheers

Peter

My 200Tdi 90 hasn't ever had the fan come on while road driving yet, since fitting it in 2008! Comes on off-road, but there's less airflow then so that's what I would expect.

Bear in mind Land Rover designed it to work in the hottest or coldest climates around, so the paltry British 'heat' is nothing to such an over-compensated system :)