wheel spacers and offset rims????

uninformed

hey all,

Id like to know who is running wheel spacers and/or large offset rims on rover axles???

doesnt matter what diffs (toy/rover/sals), doesnt matter what shafts, or cvs etc. what Im interested is if anyone is having problems with the:

Front: swivel ball to axle case flange connection

rear: spindle (stub axle) to axle case flange connection

please let me know:

how much offset you are running?

what size wheel spacers?

what size rim?

what size tyre? (tire)

also how much the vehilce is driven?

cheers,

Serg

35/10.5/16

8" wide rims with 2.5" back space

same offset as Modulars with 30mm Spacers

Driven not a lot now but has covered 2k with wheels on

no issues to report

Thanks Tony,

would I be correct in saying that you would have approx 150mm from the wheel mounting surface to the outside lip of rim?

Serg

Interesting question. What is your interest?

I would have thought that, given a large enough sample size, problems will be directly proportional to the amount of offset (be it spacers + rim or just rim) as the forces on the berings / stub axle / swivel will increase linearly with increasing offset.

Of course, the use of spacers adds in another variable in its ability to stay attached to the bits you want it to, but you haven't expressed an interest in that!

You will of course find people with huge offset and no problem and people with no offset and huge problems, but those are to be expected in a "normal" distribution of problems!

Are you trying to identify a "safe" limit for offset where problems are minimal? Could be a useful bit of research if you can compensate for driving styles!

Interesting question. What is your interest?

I would have thought that, given a large enough sample size, problems will be directly proportional to the amount of offset (be it spacers + rim or just rim) as the forces on the berings / stub axle / swivel will increase linearly with increasing offset.

Of course, the use of spacers adds in another variable in its ability to stay attached to the bits you want it to, but you haven't expressed an interest in that!

You will of course find people with huge offset and no problem and people with no offset and huge problems, but those are to be expected in a "normal" distribution of problems!

Are you trying to identify a "safe" limit for offset where problems are minimal? Could be a useful bit of research if you can compensate for driving styles!

Im not interested in large offset rims, or wheel spacers....but I am interested in the problems they bring. Scrub radius, wheel bearings and exposed brakes are the obvious, but the extra load/forces placed on the connections I have mentioned is there also. Remember LR fronts use to be 6 bolt on a concentric center, now they are 7 with 4 below the center of the axle ; )

cheers,

serg

not a massive offset on my rims, 1 ton on the front and 2b forward control on the back. all with 235/85 bfg all terains and ive just had 1 front wheel bearing collapse and the other 1 is noisey. not sure whether this is directly related to the offset as the bearings did come out slightly watery where the vehicle gets used offroad a lot. backs have been fine and they have the bigger offset so maybe the bearings are fine if kept dry :P

the vehicle holds the road much better with the wider track! no issues around the bolted areas but maybe its because the bolts have rusty ends!

I have 55mm spacers fitted and have not had a problem, they are great as I can turn corners now.... I have run them for about 20k now and there is no bearing problems etc, although I know that there will be extra wear from normal, but I take improved driving over the extra problems..

Jason.