How much paint will I need?

marysboy

Hi all,

I'm hoping to repaint my hard top and wheels soon for my short wheelbase series three. This will be my first foray into automotive painting.

I've gathered I'll need 'Limestone' paint and I'm borrowing a compressor and spray gun. How much paint will I need? Will a 1 litre tin suffice? I won't need to paint much of the inside of the hardtop as I'm going to line it with foam/fabric. But I would like to paint both sides of all the wheels (five).

I gather I'll need thinner for the spray gun - how much of that? Also any tips on which sandpaper grades to use? I want to flatten down the current paint, add some etch to the (small) bare patches of metal and then I'm hoping a coat of undercoat and one of top will do.

I've seen Brighton Autopaintsand Bill the Paintmanrecommended - any thoughts on these?

Thanks all,

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Will a 1 litre tin suffice?

I gather I'll need thinner for the spray gun - how much of that?

Also any tips on which sandpaper grades to use?

I want to flatten down the current paint, add some etch to the (small) bare patches of metal and then I'm hoping a coat of undercoat and one of top will do.

Okay - a quick phone call and Paintman gave me the following advice:

1 litre should be fine

5 - 10% thinner for spraying

800 grade wet & dry (used wet)

one coat primer, two coats topcoat (use etch if aluminium).

I sent cheque off the following day and the paint arrived back on the next day - can't beat service like that. He doesn't seem to respond to emails though so deffo give him a ring I think.

Spent all weekend on the roof and wheels - they're currently in my garage looking good in white primer. Tip: get the tyres taken off your rims cos masking them off is a real pain!

• 2 weeks later...

Further update - looks like I've just about finished with my limestone repaint. I was really pleased with the wheels. Got them fitted last weekend and gave the hubs a coat of Hammerite smooth black from an aerosol and then blacked the tyres too (see pics).

Not so lucky with the hard-top though, there was something wrong with the compressor or spray gun (borrowed from a friend, who bought it cheap...). Quick call to Paintman last weekend who advised ditching the sprayer for some fine gloss rollers which he supplied. Got the final coat on this weekend and fitted the hard-top again. Looks good but rather funny on the eye after a month or two of topless motoring!

Next steps are refit the sealing bead on the rear windows (see separate thread) and wax the whole lot. Then going to line the inside of the roof, fit an interior lamp, sort the steering. Might then consider a full motor respray in the summer....

Ian.

gallery_22112_1031_234646.jpg

gallery_22112_1031_5603.jpg

One fitted and waxed roof. :) A bird had managed to poop on it already...

Just out of interest, looking at the angle of the drop links on your rear springs, what sort of condition would say the springs are in? The reason I ask is I'm fitting new ones to the rear of my '78 SWB 2 1/4 Diesel.

julian.

Just out of interest, looking at the angle of the drop links on your rear springs, what sort of condition would say the springs are in? The reason I ask is I'm fitting new ones to the rear of my '78 SWB 2 1/4 Diesel.

julian.

Julian, I'd say the condition of my springs was poor. I'm not sure they're even the correct type as they have a funny thick leaf and a funny turn-back leaf. Also they don't match left and right! So I'm afraid it's probably not very useful to use my motor as an example :) Ian.

Julian, I'd say the condition of my springs was poor. I'm not sure they're even the correct type as they have a funny thick leaf and a funny turn-back leaf. Also they don't match left and right! So I'm afraid it's probably not very useful to use my motor as an example :) Ian.

That's great thanks, all information gratefully recieved as I try to work out what's needed on mine.

Thanks Julian.