Watch your bonne !!!!

Boothy

Following yesterday Buxton & District Clubman Challenge I have a seriously dirty Landy, so out this morning bright and fresh with the power washer was the plan.

but following the demise last week of the gas strut that holds up the bonnet complete with chequer plate and a pair of 50mm waffles, I had adopted over the weekend a nice piece of waxed string, bit like bailing twine but thicker and stronger, this was tied the the top of the snorkel bracket and then looped, when up, on the bonnet adjuster bolt in the corner, and hey ho one instant bonnet holder, that is until you stick your head under to inspect things and the knot comes undone.

Woke upon my back in the driveway with blood pouring from the new hole in my head where said adjuster bolt decided to contact thick knot tyres head first.

So following a visit to local minor injuries, and then being sent a further 15 miles to a bigger A&E department with real Doctors I have returned covered in superglue to warn all involved to tie a proper knot or wear a hard hat when looking pointlessly under the bonnet.

So tommorow all being well and head ache and throbbing hopefully subsided, I will start the whole sorry episode of cleaning Landrover based buggy again.

Be warnedsmile.gif

And that is why the scrutineers insist on a proper support to hold up the bonnet!!

Mmmm - hadn't thought of that! Maybe better make something.

My bonnet only weighs 5 kg - but I can see it might hurt!

Hope you feel better Chris - didn't make me laugh at all - honest!wink.gif

Si

I once leaned the bonnet on my series 2 against the windscreen. The wind blew it back down and, whilst my head wasn't underneath, I did try to catch it ! Doh ! the pain as the bonnet slammed on my fingertips was excruciating ! :angry:

Needless to say, I haven't propped a bonnet against the windscreen since :)

I've also had a 90 bonnet disappear over the top of my old 90 at 70 mph, an interesting experience :ph34r: but that's another story ;)

Mo

I once leaned the bonnet on my series 2 against the windscreen. The wind blew it back down and, whilst my head wasn't underneath, I did try to catch it ! Doh ! the pain as the bonnet slammed on my fingertips was excruciating ! :angry:

Needless to say, I haven't propped a bonnet against the windscreen since :)

I've also had a 90 bonnet disappear over the top of my old 90 at 70 mph, an interesting experience :ph34r: but that's another story ;)

Mo

I too have done virtually the same thing except with a series one bonnet and my head was underneath at the time.

Cost me a serious head ache and the ends of both my front teeth! :blink:

Always secure the bonnet back carefully now or take it off completely.

Glad it wasn't worse afterall, you could have had a concussion.

Anyways something similar happened to me last year with my Mog. It has a very short bonnet, but still wide and made of steel, plus the old military shovel on it, so it's quite heavy. The thing is that it is just hooked open on a hook that only holds it so long as gravity helps it. This works fine most of the time until the wind enters the picture..

Now the rad is placed quite high at the front and when on the 49,5" tyres my chin is just above it. So the bonnet lifted, then dropped, banging me on the top of my head, then slamming my chin on the rad. My dad comes running out from the workshop, having heard the big noise, asks me what had happened but I couldn't speak! The sheer pain in my jaw having been slammed shut, made me incapable of opening my mouth for a few seconds! Not nice, but a few weeks after I didn't feel any pain whatsoever :)

Mo

Not sure which I'd prefer loosing the bonnet, or doing 70 in an old 90! :P

Chris