ZF auto box question

Mark90

Which way does the oil flow in/out of a ZF auto box, connections on the bottom and n/s.

I just want to make sure I have it right before I plumb in my oil cooler and temp guage. I don't want to be measuring the temp just before it goes back into the box :unsure:

on the box there are two connections, one on top and one on the bottom of the box. oil flows out of the box on the connection that is on top into the box on the bottom connections

I always thought it flowed in different directions, depending what gear you are in.

I always thought it flowed in different directions, depending what gear you are in.

Yes, flow reverses when fourth is selected. Not a problem to the oil cooler, but doesn't help with temperature gauge. Where abouts on the case does the transmission over temperature sensor fit? That would be the best place to pick up for the temperature gauge.

I'm going to be putting a temperature gauge in the sump. As that's where the oil is being drawn from I think its where you want to take the temperature reading. Its also pretty simple to fit a sender there; remove sump, weld a small peice of 5mm plate to it, drill and tap to take sender.

I'm going to be putting a temperature gauge in the sump. As that's where the oil is being drawn from I think its where you want to take the temperature reading. Its also pretty simple to fit a sender there; remove sump, weld a small peice of 5mm plate to it, drill and tap to take sender.

I did the same as what Will is proposing to do. I used 10mm plate as the sender unit is brass and a very soft thread, also allowed me to angle the plate

Peter

i think it changes direction as soon as the torque converter locks up. at least my oil temp always falls rapidly as soon as that happens, have the sensor in the pipe where the oil flows out of the box.

I wouldn't be too concerned about having the guage in line in the pipe if flow only reverses when the T/C lock ups, but not if it reverses when in 4th.

Anyone know what thread the standard temp sensor is? And where it's located, I've not noticed one on my box.

Or if it come to it I'll look at braising a boss on to the sump to take the guage.

I wouldn't be too concerned about having the guage in line in the pipe if flow only reverses when the T/C lock ups, but not if it reverses when in 4th.

Anyone know what thread the standard temp sensor is? And where it's located, I've not noticed one on my box.

Or if it come to it I'll look at braising a boss on to the sump to take the guage.

the standard oil temp switch on the 3.9 is located on the pipe that leads to bottom connection of the cooler integrated trans oil cooler (right hand side when looking from front) can't remember threat side is but i was able to get a vdo temp sensor that fit.

on the 3.5 the tempswitch is lokated in the right hand side of the tube like cooler inf ront of the rad.

Ah right, not on the actual box, that explain why I've not noticed one on my 3.5 box :unsure:

I'm not using the standard bog brush cooler, have a 34 row mocal type cooler, so sump option is looking like the way to go. More work :rolleyes:

Which way does the oil flow in/out of a ZF auto box, connections on the bottom and n/s.

I just want to make sure I have it right before I plumb in my oil cooler and temp guage. I don't want to be measuring the temp just before it goes back into the box :unsure:

No real use to you, but mine flowed out of the box via the pipe that entered the oil cooler on the passenger side, then out through the split in the aforementioned pipe, and all over the road and my engine bay. I lost power steering and charging due to slipping belts, and drive. Stopped at the bottom of the hill, then lost my gearbox 'cos the stupid agency man made me drive it onto his tilt/slide rather than bothering to use his winch - with a tired, pregnant wife sitting in the Rangie at 2am I didn't argue. So check the condition of your oil cooler pipes regularly! Here endeth the tale of woe.

Well I'm using this hose on these fittings, so by carrying a couple of meters of hose I can replace them on site in about 10mins, well that's the theory anyway :rolleyes:

Mark, those sort of fittings and are OK but I personally don't trust them. Also, I've found that sort of hosing is a bit light duty for an off road vehilce; the braided stuff is a little harder wearing. I use aviation spec lines with crimp on connections on my gearbox. They cost a little bit (about £120) but the quality is unbelieveable.

No No I mustn't :rolleyes: its tempting but I mustn't......

Nige :unsure:

Mark, those sort of fittings and are OK but I personally don't trust them. Also, I've found that sort of hosing is a bit light duty for an off road vehilce; the braided stuff is a little harder wearing. I use aviation spec lines with crimp on connections on my gearbox. They cost a little bit (about £120) but the quality is unbelieveable.

Yeh I looked at various options, including braided hose with crimped or reusable Earls type connections, but my cheque book wasn't up to the job :unsure:

I too am a little sceptical about the connections I have used, but thought I'd give them a try due to reasonable cost and ease of making the pipes to the right length myself on the vehicle. I can not pull the pipe off the connector no matter how hard I try, it has to be cut off. I will see how they go but may fit jubilie clips if I think it's necessary.

The hose seems at least as robust as any normal rubber oil hose, if not as bling as braided B) and will be sleeved with to prevent rubbing where it contacts metal stuff.

Am seeing someone about braising a boss into the sump for the temp guage. It will be on the front vertical face of the sump just under/behind the bellhousing. As this is just above/in front of the crossmember I can put a guard on the crossmember if it looks like it might be vulnerable, but it's about as tucked up out of the way a sit can be on the sump.

A mate of mine uses that on his hybrid's fuel system, I remember him mentioning the unbelievably high rating for a push-on hose and commenting that he couldn't get it apart without cutting it. Been on there a few years now and I don't think he's had any problems.

It's down to some cunning construction in the hose wall that makes it grip the connector under pressure.

I like the fact that if the hose gets damaged it can be replaced on site in about 10mins with only a knife required, and 2m of spare hose to carry is only about a tenner. I'm sure it 'does what is says on the tin' but till I use it and get some confidence in it purely push on conections just doesn't seem right, so I'll be keeping some jubilie clips to hand just in case :unsure:

Not sure if its of help but I just used Gates hose - a bog brush cooler at the front and B&C with thermo fan on the back (plumbed in series), the hose has a service life of 7 years on plant machinery and its £2 a metre, The gearbox to hose connections were from Think automotive, the cooler circuit is only running at 1bar so dont get stressed about connections being overloaded - I never had a jubilee pop on it

No No I mustn't :rolleyes: its tempting but I mustn't......

Nige :unsure:

Nige, I have some VERY incriminating photos which I may have to pull out. I'll give you a clue: How does a Nyloc nut lock?

OMG I'm in soooooooooooooooooooo much trouble. Running for cover :ph34r: