Defender 110 vs 90

Hi,

I have a Defender 90, and am thinking of trading this for a 110, the main reason being for the additional seats so that my children can be safely transported in it - without the need to install 2 x expensive seats in the very back.

Key question, accepting that its longer, are they any less capable off-road? Clearly the length will mean some things are more likely, such as grounding in the middle, but exactly how capable are they??? Interested to hear from 110 owners, or people that have owned both?

Thanks in advance.

110 has a great advantage in some situations. Often they have a lot more traction due to his lenght (when an axle is in slippery terrain, the other one likely to be in a good one, like in short hill climbs or big rocks). Aditionally, you probably will have more strenght transmision and suspension parts (Salisburty diff, HD suspension)..... The worst problem is exit angle.....

Generally speaking 110s are better off road than 90s. The rear overhang can be a problem sometimes and if you want to feed it through tight, twisty, tree sections on a challenge it can prove more difficult.

On the plus side you can drive up slopes that a 90 won't make and you're far less likely to end up on your side because they are inherently more stable. That's one of the reasons that the 100 inch wheelbase is popular, it gives you some of the stability of the 110 but with better turning circle. My challenge team mate ran a full length 110 for years, it would regularly drive stuff that a 90 couldn't get close to. With UK events changing towards tight tree lined sections he eventually bit the bullet and changed to a 90 - he rolled the 90 on it's side thinking that it would stay upright just like his 110 :)

The main concern I would have is that the 5 door versions seem to be more vulnerable to rot than the 3 doors, no idea why, and spare body panels are more difficult/expensive to get hold of.

I have just invested in a 110 and the intention is to sell my 90.

The extra passenger capability is the main aspect, a 90 van is a bit anti social if you want to go Green laning.

The other factor that influenced me is that I have a caravan and was using a Kia Sorento to pull it. Just could not face 5 hours towing the van with a 90 and the Sorento has been traded for the 110.

The 110 makes it more comfortable towing and allows more space for family and the obligatory Border Collie.

The off road aspects are slightly different but I believe that once you get the feel of the vehicle you can then adapt your approach to tight stages and mud baths.

Tommy

No problems with my 110 off road, constantly surprises me.

But with all things it does some things better than a 90 or a disco, and other things worse, primarily departure angle as I have the full dixon bate arrangement and the extra weight, but a lift has helped, and I am installing a guard to prevent it digging. Find it quite good at recovery and winching as well. In general though I would say a 90 is better offroad.

Unless I was challenging personally I wouldn't get a 90 or disco, I get good enough performance from it and all the space benefits for all my tools and equipment while seating 5 :)

I have had both 90's and 110's and would always go for a 110, I think a 90 is a big little car.... (although I have an 80!!!) I don't trial my 110 but have never had a problem off road, well that's not strictly true, I used to bottom out the tow bar (as above) departure angel all wrong. I changed mine to a 2" receiver and have not had a problem since, greater load space, more room for the kids ablity to seperate the passanger space from the load space for safety. the 110 wins hands down.

Jason.

I've had three 90s and now a 110, simply because the 90 is not big enough. By the time you get recovery kit plus a few other bits and pieces in the back, it is basically full up, and that means you can only put two people in it. A 110 can carry the same stuff (and better, because the suspension is stronger, so a load that made the 90 squat hardly moves the 110) and take 4 or 5. Having said that I do prefer a 90 off road here - the 110 feels a bit of a heavy barge in soft peat, where a 90 on big wheels would skip over the top the 110 feels like it is ploughing through.

Ideal world, I'd probably have both, but already having three vehicles for completely different needs, to have a fourth would be a trifle extravagant :ph34r:

They both have their advantages and disadvantages :

90 :

+ better steering around tight spots

+ better break over angles

+ lighter (when not loaded)

+ better fuel economy

+ anti-mother in law

+ easier to recover when winching / pushing is involved

- cannot carry much

- less stability

- cannot install center winch and side boxes

110 :

+ passenger carrier (5 door version)

+ stable at higher speeds

+ more stable on rough terrain

+ easier hill climb (once over the break over and approach angles)

+ better on soft grounds (traction) as it's weight is spread further

+ lotsa space to mount air tanks, LPG tanks, winches, storage boxes

- turning circle

- body flex (rattle)

- fuel economy

- high price (ok maybe in singapore, can buy 2x 90 for the price of one)

without any doubt the 110 is better on general off road driving, more control in ruts, grips better uphill and more control downhill,smoother ride at speed over bumps,etc,etc,....90 better at tight turns and power to weight ratio,also less strain on winch.

Yup. I prefer my 110 to my previous 90.

More practical for everyday use, more seats, smoother ride.

I too put a 2" receiver in place of my old adjustable tow hitch to give a better departure angle. I can now go where any 90 can.

It's simple; God made the 110 first, decided that it looked awful and so went away and came up with plan B, the 90, with which he was very pleased. :D

He then pushed the 110 into a local canal to get shot of it, which is why they are now referred to as barges. :)

So it's an easy choice; go to heaven when the time comes ? Get a 90. Go to hell ? Get a 110. :(

Hope that helps

Mo ;)

It's simple; God made the 110 first, decided that it looked awful and so went away and came up with plan B, the 90, with which he was very pleased. biggrin.gif

He then pushed the 110 into a local canal to get shot of it, which is why they are now referred to as barges. smile.gif

So it's an easy choice; go to heaven when the time comes ? Get a 90. Go to hell ? Get a 110. sad.gif

Hope that helps

Mo wink.gif

Mo, I think your logic is flawed...rolleyes.gif

Did god not first make the 80? He saw that it was good but needed a bit more room for the kids/sheep/tools and so invented the 86 and 107?biggrin.gif then he rested.....

The Lord made-eth the 80, 86, 107, 88, and 109, and on the 6th day he rested (to sooth his sore bum from the leaf springs. On the 7th day he made the 90 and his bum was happy. But Mrs God was not best pleased "how shalt we cart the shopping around with all the desciples in the 90? verliy thy must try again and make summat else". So the Lord came up with the 110 - to cart his portly self around, the Mrs, the desciples, the shopping, and the occasional trip to the tip.

Jesus and Mary borrowing it on the odd weekend to go crashing around in the garden of eden - to pinch apples and run over snakes.

Les :)

I changed from a 90 to a 110 for the reasons detailed above - no space for much in the back or more than two people.

AlanTD - where was your receiver from? I've tried and failed to find one...?

Sorry for the delay - just saw this.

I got it from www.safari-equip.co.uk

The Lord made-eth the 80, 86, 107, 88, and 109, and on the 6th day he rested (to sooth his sore bum from the leaf springs. On the 7th day he made the 90 and his bum was happy. But Mrs God was not best pleased "how shalt we cart the shopping around with all the desciples in the 90? verliy thy must try again and make summat else". So the Lord came up with the 110 - to cart his portly self around, the Mrs, the desciples, the shopping, and the occasional trip to the tip.

Jesus and Mary borrowing it on the odd weekend to go crashing around in the garden of eden - to pinch apples and run over snakes.

Les :)

And after all is hard work, Mrs God rescue 2 Japanese Akitas and He ask Foley's to Make a 130 SW :P:P:P Because He couldn’t be asked :D:D:D

It's simple; God made the 110 first, decided that it looked awful and so went away and came up with plan B, the 90, with which he was very pleased. :D

He then pushed the 110 into a local canal to get shot of it, which is why they are now referred to as barges. :)

So it's an easy choice; go to heaven when the time comes ? Get a 90. Go to hell ? Get a 110. :(

Hope that helps

Mo ;)

so what happens to those of us who have both? do we stay on earth or just in limbo

haven't had chance to take the 110 off road but as i mainly do RTV's at the mo 90 all the way