Grr.....Accelerator Cable snapped!

jeremy996

Driving back from work yesterday evening, my throttle cable snapped, reducing my speed to 8mph on tickover and second gear. Remembering the old days in the TA with SIII 109s, I found a piece of string and jury-rigged a hand throttle for my 2.5TD 110 CSW, (thinking nostalgically of FFR hand throttles).

It was much easier in the old days, it was bl**dy hard work changing gear, pulling string and steering around the roundabouts.

Anyone have the part numbers for a inner and outer cable for a 1989 2.5TD 110 CSW? I need to get one to fit soonest. :huh:

Accel cable [one piece assembly] for 2.5TD 110CSW [is LR part number NTC2743 :D

Thank you very much Ralph, that saves a lot of silly questions at the dealers, (or maybe I'll go to my local Land Rover aftermarket toy shop).

Thanks

One mod that I have come across recently and will be using purely for reliability purposes is to use a handbrake cable instead of the normal thing.

Works a treat and should last.

898 - you are a star! My cable broke today - and one thing I have lots of is handbrake cables! The engine end is perfect, don't know about the pedal end - too dark at the moment!

Si

898 - you are a star! My cable broke today - and one thing I have lots of is handbrake cables! The engine end is perfect, don't know about the pedal end - too dark at the moment!

Si

what a superb idea, if this works, and we can sort some part numbers out, i'll buy a spare handbrake cable and leave it in the disco.... :)

i think mine has some sort of horrid electronic throttle though....... :(

what a superb idea, if this works, and we can sort some part numbers out, i'll buy a spare handbrake cable and leave it in the disco.... :)

i think mine has some sort of horrid electronic throttle though....... :(

Think I spoke too soon! The cable itself (NRC5088) is fine, has more or less the right ends on it and would make a fine alternative throttle cable - if it were a couple of inches longer!

There is another part NRC5089, a LHD cable which I believe is longer though.

5088 would be fine on a TDi - but on a V8 it's too short.

Si

5088 would be fine on a TDi - but on a V8 it's too short.

Si

Is that on the EFI?

Although this mod wasnt on a LR it was on big vehicle (G wagon) and reached to a standard rover V8 twin SU setup. Sorry for getting the pulse racing :ph34r:

Keep us updated Si, if you find the right one.

Is that on the EFI?

Although this mod wasnt on a LR it was on big vehicle (G wagon) and reached to a standard rover V8 twin SU setup. Sorry for getting the pulse racing :ph34r:

Keep us updated Si, if you find the right one.

It is on the EFI (newly installed with Megasquirt). The linkage on the SU's was a couple of inches nearer - so the ordinary handbrake cable would have been fine.

Decided to go for a new throttle cable, a few inches longer. Cheaper than a handbrake cable -and I know it will fit! I'm keen to get MS up & running - and don't really want to add another sub-project.

Si