RR 93 200 TDI won't crank

STOVEBOLTSLIM

Nearly got home in my newly acquired 1993 RR Vogue 200TDI, filled up with diesel, got a good sting of static off the door as I closed it, jumped in, wouldn't crank. Battery good, dash warning lights on as normal, headlamps worked fine, no dimming when I turned key.

Had a general look around wiggled key etc. phoned previous owner, no clues. Found starter motor behind little shield at back of turbo so I wasn't putting my bare hand in there while it's hot.

Neighbour came round and gave me a pull to start and drove home no problem.

Had a look today, without shop manual and couldn't find the right wiring diagram online persevered in tracing the wiring, what a bitch. The colour coding and wire gauge from ignition switch seems to change at random every few inches, found an inline 10A. blade fuse, that was fed from a connector block wedged behind the loom and that fed the switched live to the relay coil. Swopped the relay as it wasn't clicking, but no joy so traced the neg. side of the coil to a suspicios bulge in the loom that I thought might be a fusible link. This is all after removing the steering column shrouds and the under dash trim panel, how are you supposed to access stuff like this on the side of the road or worse still off-road?

When I put my circuit tester on the relay neg. the ignition key span the motor as normal so I suspected failed diode (as I think the bulge is) or bad earth. Trying the tester prod on the chassis side of the diode connection still allowed cranking so I'm guessing bad earth.

Tried the earth post on drivers footwell by door hinge but no improvement so there must be another earth point that I can't find.

QUESTIONS: Where's the under dash earth?

Can I ignore it and wire in another earth? (which is what I'm trying next)

Why a diode? I don't know if there's an immobiliser on these or if the vehicle had remote central locking, but there's another under dash box that mentions radio frequency and I'm guessing the diode is to stop back feeds of voltage or current, actually I haven't got much of a clue.

How can I get an understandable wiring diagram and an overview of what systems are built into the wiring loom on this vehicle? I intend to use it every day for work as a van and occasional green laning so reliability and simplicity are pretty important. While I'm fault finding I'd like to label the relays and strip out any unused bits of circuit such as remote locking.

Not so many RR 200TDI's about so I'm hoping I get lucky with finding someone with a bit more knowledge than me.

Any comments kids? Geoff

Is this a conversion from a V8.

Try a jump lead from a solid point on the engine to the chassis to prove earthing, if that does nothing, jump lead from engine to negative of the battery.

Also check the 12v feed to the starter solenoid.

Is this a conversion from a V8.

Try a jump lead from a solid point on the engine to the chassis to prove earthing, if that does nothing, jump lead from engine to negative of the battery.

Also check the 12v feed to the starter solenoid.

Hi Sheltie, it's a factory original 200TDI, the problem seems to be that there is power to the starter RELAY hidden under the dash, but this does not operate to send power to the starter SOLENOID fixed to the pre-engaged starter on the engine. If I provide a temporary earth (ie, negative connection) to the relay coil, all operates successfully. I have done this temporary connection and driven 130 miles today with several restarts with no problem. BUT because there is a diode in the original relay negative wire and I can't find an earthing point that it goes to, I am suspecting it goes back into the loom to connect to some ECU or other infernal device and I may be cocking something up long-term by fitting the direct earth.

I've ordered a CD rom manual and hope to be able to glean something from the wiring diagrams but I'm not holding out much hope and was really banking on someone who knows the electronic side of these vehicles putting my mind at rest.

On the bright side, I'm really enjoying the coil spring TDI experience after previous series 1,2,3 ownership.

Cheers, Geoff