Oil temperature sender on a 3.9V8

MogLite

I want to add an oil temperature sender, its a VDO one, thread size = 1/8NPT.

Whats a good way of doing this ?

I've got no suitable boss on the oil cooler to tap.

Adding a t-piece in the oil cooler hoses is possible, but another joint to leak.

My oil-pressure sender is 1/8NPT too, so I've got to get an adaptor such as part number 070.251 at Holden

I did have an adaptor bush from Merlin, unfortunately this sheared :(

Thanks

I want to add an oil temperature sender, its a VDO one, thread size = 1/8NPT.

Whats a good way of doing this ?

I've got no suitable boss on the oil cooler to tap.

Adding a t-piece in the oil cooler hoses is possible, but another joint to leak.

number of options; question is where is the correct point for measuring the temperature? (opinions vary and I do not remember seeing a definitive answer).

possiblilies are at then oil pump, sump, cooler or filter (remove).

I don't think it matters since the temperature at whcih you start to worry with be set to a different threshold.

anyways, to answer your question. v8 oil pump has IIRC 3 takes offs - (I have the threads listed somewhere) so you can use one of those? I am using 2 for oil pressure guage and oil pressure lamp (oil temp is in the sump). using a T for the pressure bits, you can use a port for the temp - the sender needs to be inside the oil pump for most accurate reading.

otherwise if you have remote oil filter, you can tap the head to take a sender? or drill sump and weld nut on inside, hmmmmm..... now who would do that.... :rolleyes:

You can get sump plugs that are tapped to take a sender, although with the drain plug being at the bottom of the sump it may be a bit vulnerable, especially with Moglite being so close to the ground :rolleyes:

got one of those, have ripped of lots of things from underneath the car but not the sender, so should be fine.

Well I took the pump off tonight - to have a look at the mangled adaptor bush that started all this.

Seems my 1/4bsp went down a couple of outlets quite nicely, so I'll get a couple of 1/4 -> 1/8 adaptors at the weekend, and hopefully that will sort it.