cant turn right any ideas?

nickt

Im looking at a mates discovery tonight but have dont know what the problem might be I have tried searching on a search engine but nothing.

As the title suggests it has very little lock right but full lock left is there any common faults to check otherwise I will have to keep removing ball joints to narrow down the cause cheers

it was bought like it not the stops I havent seen anything bent as yet not sure about the box thinking of dropping the ball joint off so i can turn the box to see if it is axles or box at fault could a cv cause a problem?

CVs are unlikely.

Best thing is as you say to isolate the location of the problem, up on a pair of axle stands and disconnect the ball joints starting with the drag link so you can check components through.

Niamh

CV's could cause it, tjolliffe broke one at round 2 of the LRS challenge and that stopped his steering, the cv has to have completely expoloded, but he couldn't turn much (maybe 1/2 rotation of the steering wheel) and his wheel kept locking up too so it was quite obvious. Made recovery across the site quite interesting! :P

Saying that, as niamh says, cv's are unlikely to go in this way, unless its been given lots of beans off-road

Had that on my Rangie, crushed the outer sleeve nicely on a stump, that was only able to turn right, however on a defender positioned damper that would mean you would only be able to turn left.

MrKev might have that one in the bag :)

Remove it and retry :)

i exploded one of my cv joints at manby play day in feb, it didn't make any noise but wouldn't drive unless i had difflock on, i drove home 20 miles in difflock and just as i turned into my road the steering stopped turning right exactly the same as you describe although left lock was fine.

as i said it was totally silent no grinding etc.

does it drive without difflock engaged? if it doesn't but does with difflock engaged then it's almost definately a cv but if it drives without difflock then the cv isn't the problem.

found the answer turns out the person my mate bought the discovery off of had damaged the thread inside the steering arm off the drag link so couldnt set the tracking so set the tracking with the steering turned a full rotation right so the drag link fouled on a braket on the chassis