anybody made a ground anchor

Hi all

Doing another challenge event soon and I believe the site is not very wooded. So i need a ground anchor and I really can't afford to buy one. So i guess that means make one.

Was thinking the standard spade type anchor would be best. I don't want it to weigh more than my truck but must obviously be strong. Anbody done one themselves, what are the week points in most designs?

Many thanks

Nick

Hi all

Doing another challenge event soon and I believe the site is not very wooded. So i need a ground anchor and I really can't afford to buy one. So i guess that means make one.

Was thinking the standard spade type anchor would be best. I don't want it to weigh more than my truck but must obviously be strong. Anbody done one themselves, what are the week points in most designs?

Many thanks

Nick

oh and yes i've done a search, which was partly useful. But i need clarification and pictures! :P

Yes, me and Hybrid from hell made a batch of "kittygrippers" years ago.

The angles and lengths of the arms are absolutely critical otherwise they simply dont work! We made several prototypes that didnt work before borrowing a pullpal one iirc from Ali Read and copying it!

IMHO you're best off buying on these days as i reckon you'll struggle to make one thats as light as the one xeng make for example.

Jon

Surely the really important variable is what angle the blade enters the ground?

Yes, kind of. The most important measurement is if you draw a line from the point your winch line attaches to the point the arm joins on to the spade. It is the angle between that line and the spade which is most critical.

Unfortunately, that angle changes for different sizes of anchor - so you cannot take an existing design & scale it up or down. If the blade is give or take the same area and attached in the same place and the length of the line mentioned above is similar - you can do pretty much what you like!

Although the angle it enters the ground is important, more important is what it does when it's burrowing its way through the ground.

Si

Yes, me and Hybrid from hell made a batch of "kittygrippers" years ago.

The angles and lengths of the arms are absolutely critical otherwise they simply dont work! We made several prototypes that didnt work before borrowing a pullpal one iirc from Ali Read and copying it!

IMHO you're best off buying on these days as i reckon you'll struggle to make one thats as light as the one xeng make for example.

Jon

^^^

Wot he said :)

I made a number of units, strong but heavy, angle IS Critical for it to work

IMHO with Si Rs anchor you are wasting you time, it is one of those "You can't Make

it for that sort of money" jobbie. When fund allow I wil be buying one, as although the

one(s) I made work fine and are silly strong, they are also silly heavy.

They also cost a load to make, so save yourself the grief, costs, and time and buy a X Eng One

:)

Nige

^^^

Wot he said :)

I made a number of units, strong but heavy, angle IS Critical for it to work

IMHO with Si Rs anchor you are wasting you time, it is one of those "You can't Make

it for that sort of money" jobbie. When fund allow I wil be buying one, as although the

one(s) I made work fine and are silly strong, they are also silly heavy.

They also cost a load to make, so save yourself the grief, costs, and time and buy a X Eng One

:)

Nige

I think what Nigel is trying to say is that :-

"IMHO with Si Rs anchor available you are wasting you time making your own,"

anybody made a ground anchor

A couple of hundred. :rolleyes:

26265.gif

What about somthing like this folding boat anchor? You could adjust the angle of the blade after manufacture........

Saw a miltary version of that today at hursts, thought about it but it weighed too much. Couldn't really find suitable material for the blade so post poning this endeavour. Made some bridging ladders instead!

Guess i shall have to beg mates to lend me one next weekend. :P

Nick