Hi all Im new to the forum......

Garymv

Why can't (if Allmakes quality and prices are competitive) we purchase through our website, automatically giving us a forum discount.

Anything purchased through LR4x4 would receive some sort of commission which could be paid into the kitty. LR4x4 acting as an agent for Allmakes.

If Allmakes are confident about quality etc then shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure a businessman will be along shortly to tell me why we can't :)

jonost24

The key defining principle of LR4X4 is that we are completely independent and not beholden to any commercial interests be it retailers manufacturers or magazines etc.

Allmakes can if they wish offer discounts to LR4X4 members in their signature line, however the transaction would be outside the auspices of LR4X4.

Some of our members do have commercial interests in Land Rover accessories etc and they are very welcome on LR4X4 provided they do not use their membership to promote product or services sales. A number are valued contributors that add to the technical, development and general advice on the forums. Some already offer LR4X4 member discounts and one in particular I am aware of has an LR4X4 discount code on their online website.

To maintain LR4X4's independence we raise funds through donations, which generally come from members, some of which pay a regular standing order. On occasion additional funds come from LR4X4 apparel sales of tee/sweat shirts etc which derive a small contribution to our coffers.

For those of you that are interested the funding section can be found - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=18

John

jonost24

The key defining principle of LR4X4 is that we are completely independent and not beholden to any commercial interests be it retailers manufacturers or magazines etc.

Allmakes can if they wish offer discounts to LR4X4 members in their signature line, however the transaction would be outside the auspices of LR4X4.

Some of our members do have commercial interests in Land Rover accessories etc and they are very welcome on LR4X4 provided they do not use their membership to promote product or services sales. A number are valued contributors that add to the technical, development and general advice on the forums. Some already offer LR4X4 member discounts and one in particular I am aware of has an LR4X4 discount code on their online website.

To maintain LR4X4's independence we raise funds through donations, which generally come from members, some of which pay a regular standing order. On occasion additional funds come from LR4X4 apparel sales of tee/sweat shirts etc which derive a small contribution to our coffers.

For those of you that are interested the funding section can be found - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=18

John

John - I believe the page you linked to needs a little update to reflect our recently appointed new treasurer.

IMHO if customers buy on price, manufacturers and resellers will sell on price with the resulting quality issues.

Im afraid now I only buy original (i.e. branded) parts for all my cars and only purchase items not available from vehicle manufacturers direct from source or via approved agents (such as X products) A few years ago when I was v interested in purchasing a well known brand of storage for Land Rover products, I discovered that a London based reseller (now no-longer trading) was having identical parts made in eastern europe and shipped in along side at a much lower cost.

I have to take the 2year old rear wheel carrier off and remove the rust (now taking hold) - I should have bought Mantec but baulked at price....

Also getting good customer service is becoming increasingly rare. I ordered a Laptop from a ‘reputable’ on line book company with a South American sounding name, I needed it for Sat AM delivery and paid extra…. Courier lied about us not being in, we cancelled the order and they STILL delivered it, now its been a week of emails and ‘our company policy etc’ its still here unopened and I have to drive an 80 mile round trip to drop it off !

I try where possible to support local businesses, but due to my working a long way away from home, Im not in a position to always do so. My nearest alternative is an auction site where sellers are immediately rated by buyers (local LR dealer wont deliver (I have offered to pay and their van comes into my town every day but as Im not trading as a business any more for LRs they wont consider).

SO rant over.

I support independent vendors (such as X or MUD or QT or SOUTHDOWN) and realise their development does cost, but they are all real people who treat their customers with respect and not like they are all trying to rip them off. Im not saying there is no place for non-manufacturer parts but a cheap part is often just that.