Strata Florida, and region. Going with 1 vehicle stupid idea?

smokinv8

Hi all, right I am planning a jaunt to Wales (3rd-7th May inc)with my wife and would like to take her on the Strata Florida (she has no experience of welsh lanes) which I myself have done twice now but always in a group of vehicles. Am I being stupid to think about doing it on our own?

Im not new to offroading and my 90 is far away from standard (lockers,cage,winches etc etc)but the Strata is isolated.

Would like to also do a few other byways and just nice roads too, seeing the scenery etc, so any other suggestions greatly appreciated or opinions given?

Neil

depends on your level of experience really. if it's been raining heavily beforehand (it's a bank holiday weekend before, so expect it to :) ) then probably best avoided if on your own. otherwise the onyl thing i would suggest is some form of comms device, as mobile signal up there is not the best.

could be worth letting someone know when you start the lane & when you plan to finish it by (allowing a margin on the finish time)then check in with them when you get out of it. that way if you overrun your supposed finish time they can come looking, or arrange a search?

alternatively, see if there is anyone local available to go with you on the particular day you are planning

Wise words from Disco_al. I have done it alone in a standard Disco in good weather so provided you have a degree of confidence in your ability then go for it. Heed warnings about bad weather (though it has not rained in Wales for the past 3 weeks and levels are currently low.). If you start reasonably early on a weekend I can guarantee that should you have a problem someone will be along at some point that day. Obviously this won't apply on a week day but its not that far to walk out at the end of the day! Remember when out in a remote region in the hills it is often quicker to go up than down in order to get a mobile signal!

Thanks for the replies guys, you've both echoed my own thoughts really.

Without being big-headed (waits to be shot down in flames!)I am confidant in both mine and my vehicles abilities, but yes the water element is obviously the main concern. So I'l watch out for the weather reports a few days before hand and if in any doubt I have a reverse gear! :lol:

I've done it alone 4 times in the past now without issue. Its very simple, you dont drive the strata after heavy rain alone or in a group!!

Yep and by the look of it outside today (At Swindon)I dont fancy my chances much this week. :(

Typical, after all the nice sunny days we've had!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, was there at that stage and the place where we were staying was taking a group of Dutch folk out in a series 3...small world. I was with a mate in another def90 but we were discussing if you could do it alone. Think answer is yes (as you proved) but was concerned if something broke, it was a bit of a hike out...or be prepared to stick it out, perhaps overnight in the LR.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, was there at that stage and the place where we were staying was taking a group of Dutch folk out in a series 3...small world. I was with a mate in another def90 but we were discussing if you could do it alone. Think answer is yes (as you proved) but was concerned if something broke, it was a bit of a hike out...or be prepared to stick it out, perhaps overnight in the LR.

I was a little concerned about being stuck "out there" but had all my camping equipment and stuff on board anyway. Would of been a quiet few days camping I think!