2.5 td help

hi all my engine is playing up ive replaced fuel injectors injector pipes and the boost diaphram and still getting the same oil blasting out from the turbo down pipe and the engine smoking(blue smoke)and running away with its self

does this mean new engine or could i get away with just a top end rebuild

probably the piston rings are stuck in the piston grooves &/or the bores are worn letting oil past the rings or the turbo seals have given up, best to have a good look before the engine self destruct running on it's oil,

could be a chance to retro-fit a 200 or 300tdi instead.

i think you right western but gotta get permission before for the boss (wife) and what are views on the zoo zoo 2.8td lump and would it not be worth doing the piston rings and finding out cheers steve

If its done big mileage and it's that bad, possibly not: because after the cost of the refurb (by time you've sorted the turbo or cracked pistons / rings /big end shells / gaskets / valve stem seals etc.) it'll still be a 2.5TD and you could have bought an ex-Disco 200Tdi ...

Mine was exactly the same most people agreed it was worn piston rings only on one cylinder in my case this allows preasure into the sump resulting in oil being pumped back to air filter and turbo dont bother rebuilding chuck a tdi init its a quantum leap from the old 2.5 well worth it

i think you right western but gotta get permission before for the boss (wife) and what are views on the zoo zoo 2.8td lump and would it not be worth doing the piston rings and finding out cheers steve

would be cheaper in the long term to source a Disc 200 or 300tdi & fit, the engine wiring is the same & your existing gearbox will connect to both a almost straight fit onto a 200tdi [refer to the 200tdi Disco fit thread in the tech archive/defender forum] & like this to a 300tdi

I don't know how easy it is to fit a Isuzu 2.8 engine.

thanks for all the feed back guys i have had a chat with the boss (wife) and a tdi is a go and thanks western for the link about 300tdi its means i can look for both 200 and 300 and the zoo zoo engine is abit of a job but only with the exhaust as the turbo is on the other side of engine

thanks for all the feed back guys i have had a chat with the boss (wife) and a tdi is a go and thanks western for the link about 300tdi its means i can look for both 200 and 300 and the zoo zoo engine is abit of a job but only with the exhaust as the turbo is on the other side of engine

where abouts are you i may know for a defender 200tdi like changin a light bulb then no messin with exhausts inter coolers ect