Heavy gearbox

Kerakcrusader

Hello Everyone.

Managed to get the gearbox out of the chassis without any lifting apparatus and set it down on the floor.(Actually this was a little easier than it sounds because I was working on a bare chassis as part of my rebuild). As I am completely naive regarding gearboxes and the like, is there someway to separate the transfer case from the main gearbox without any parts falling or flying off to facilitate lifting it again to my pickup flatbed?

Thanks in advance.

You can quite easily seperate the two, but it does require removing the PTO cover, input gear, sump pan, and the large gear that's then exposed in order to get at the nuts that hold the two together.

Les.

This is how I took my Series 1 gearbox out to rebuild it.

Marc.

I'd leave at as one, they're manageable once out, and dead easy to lift if you get a helper - what are you wanting to do with it?

I just need to lift it to my flatbed pickup to deliver it to my mechanic for a rebuild, but seeing it as a quite a little hassle to seperate gearbox and transfer case, I think that getting a little help in the form of another pair of hands will simply do the trick.

Thanks

I'd leave at as one, they're manageable once out, and dead easy to lift if you get a helper - what are you wanting to do with it?

I just need to lift it to my flatbed pickup to deliver it to my mechanic for a rebuild, but seeing it as a quite a little hassle to seperate gearbox and transfer case, I think that getting a little help in the form of another pair of hands will simply do the trick.

Thanks