Grasshopper with more to learn....................

2drdan

Hi folks,

some more Q's if you're all up for it..? cheers in advance!

Have sourced an engine, (cheers Chris), have mounts on way, it'll take a week for the adapter plate to arrive from ordering (once pay day comes and goes..!) and I know I'll need a disco rad with oil cooler in.

V8 ready to come out.

1. can i get the g'box out with the engine? assuming everything is disconnected g'lever, props etc.

2. will an eng. crane cope with the range of movement needed? ( have not got one (borrow or buy?)so am considering a scaffold tower...?)RR classic on 235/85/16s...could swap wheels for sankey trailer ones..?

3. is a heavy duty clutch worth it.....almost double std price, will be towing occasionally and plan to offroad as much as pos.?

4. anyone got the gale force air box set up (k&n) as i haven't got any airbox yet so go straight for the upgrade...?

5. more i'm sure but the pizza's burning....mnmmmm

Cheers all for input..... :blink:

1. yes.

2. height shouldn't be a problem as long as you take the front panel of the rangie and get the "balence" rght on the lifting chain.

3. Go for a clutch out of a 130 you shouldn't need anything more, and they're only a little over £110.

4. There's not too much wrong with the standard airbox setup, at least it's easy to snorkel up!

3. Go for a clutch out of a 130 you shouldn't need anything more, and they're only a little over £110.

4. There's not too much wrong with the standard airbox setup, at least it's easy to snorkel up!

Cheers. :)

3. OEM Valeo HD clutch "as used by many utility co.s" from '4x4 Mail Order' at £126.99 does that sound about right.? to suit all 200/300tdi.

4. righto, cheaper too, snorkel ready to hook up.

front panel out just searching for a crane then.......

still can't remember no. 5.......doh. sure it'll come to me as I enter this post..!!!

:huh:

4. righto, cheaper too, snorkel ready to hook up.

Not strictly true as it will ned some sealing. I've seen too many people dive strainght into water after fitting a snorkel to they're Tdis only to hydro them.

A HD clutch is well worth it. IMHO the standard clutch is hardly up to the job (I once did a standard clutch in 2 day long events with the Tdi :unsure: ). The 130 ones last longer although a paddle clutch is better still.

What gearbox are you using? If its an LT77 or R380 then make sure you fit a new clutch actuating arm!

Not strictly true as it will ned some sealing. I've seen too many people dive strainght into water after fitting a snorkel to they're Tdis only to hydro them.

A HD clutch is well worth it. IMHO the standard clutch is hardly up to the job (I once did a standard clutch in 2 day long events with the Tdi :unsure: ). The 130 ones last longer although a paddle clutch is better still.

What gearbox are you using? If its an LT77 or R380 then make sure you fit a new clutch actuating arm!

What's a Paddle Clutch?

Si

What's a Paddle Clutch?

Si

This is a paddle clutch...

clutch.jpg

They can come with dofferent numbers of paddles, that is obviously a 6 paddle clutch.

Paddle clutches are generally for high power race applications. The draw back is they tend to be rather on/off in their application, although the 6 paddle ones, like above, are better and more drivable than the 3 or 4 paddle ones which really are for track/race applications.

It's the 4spd RR box, 1980 so lt95 or lt85??

'Was wondering about the arm......... :unsure:

What's a Paddle Clutch?

Si

Yeah, what Mark said. I've never used one off road but HFH seems to get on fine with his. The principal of them is the hotter they get the harder they grip; they will actually eat the flywheel before they wear themselves out. However, this doesn't normally happen as the clutch normally looses its ability to slip long before that. As Mark said, the less extreme ones behave reasonably 'normally' (ie can be slipped) when cold but as soon as they start to get hot they they become very on/off.