might of made a mistake with my tyre choice

andy2986

Hiya all,

Ive just had a set of 265/75 r16 Insa Turbo Special Trac's fitted to my Disco.

I haven't had a chance to try them off road yet but on road they seem to be very squirmy and lose. at motorway speeds they are very twitchy

If anyone else out there is using them, what pressures are you running on the road ? (im on 30f 35r at the mo) and what are your thoughts about these tyres?

My last set of tyres were KL71's but wanted something more aggressive this time.

Andy

KL71 's and Special tracks are worlds apart, both off and on road.

You cannot expect Special tracks to be any good at motorway speeds - I certainly found them interesting at 60 - 65 on the motorway.

You will also find they will wear very quickly if used a lot on road. If you can, I would get a set of AT's on a second set of rims for everyday use and keep the Special tracks for special occaisions.

I thought mine would be better than they were as well, and sold them on very quickly for much the same reasons you describe. It felt like running on the old crossply Avon Rangers, i.e. a distinct feeling that the steering wheel was connected to the front wheels with a rubber band somewhere along the line. For decent on road manners you really need a conventional MT like a BFG or a KL71.

Its like having jelly for tyres !!

Im seriously thinking of selling them on but what to replace them with ? The KL71's are a good tyre but I feel they are more of an AT as opposed to a MT. Also I found that they dont clear when in really snotty mud and that they were very soft in the side wall making them vulnerable to damage.

I want to use a more aggressive tyre maybe I shouldn't have gone completely the other way ??

Will try some different pressures see if that improves them at all. Any pressure suggestions? what are other people running them on ? (pressure wise)

Will probably sell them on, The logistics of two sets of wheels dont work for me ! Having thought about it I haven't really got anywhere of keeping a second set of tyres, the misses will go bat**** if I start wheeling sets of tyres through the house, and they wont last 30 secs on the front in Grays !!

I used to have two sets of tyres when I had a workshop in Barking, wasn't so bad then, I also had a forklift to lift the car up quickly as well (times change !!)

So My shortlist I guess would be.....

Recip trials

Cooper STT

BFG MT

Mickey Thompson MYZ

Your thoughts ?

Anyone please let me know what pressures you're running in 265/75 r16 insa specials ??

Why are you expecting good road manners from a set of copied competition tyres designed predominantly for mud and loose and generally hardous terrain??

I would never dream of trying to drive on the motorway or similar on a comp tyre, comp tyres for comps and AT's for dual pupose.

I use Cooper STT which are superb on my Patrol tow car, in my opinion don't look at Recips either another terrible choice.

The other problem you may encounter is the amount of damage to a standard drive train that can occur, i.e. diff's, halfshafts etc when using aggresive tryes offroad.

Good luck

I wasn't expecting good road manners :D but at least some !!!

I didn't just buy these on a whim, and I did speak to a few chaps who run these on there motors all the time and they all said that they weren't too bad on the road, Now maybe because they all drive 90's that might make a difference I dont know, Ive had other aggressive tyres on the car before and they weren't this bad on the road. maybe I should have driven someone else's motor with them on first... ho-hum we live and learn.....

KL71's are worlds apart from the Insas. I have the KL71's on my Navara and they're great for my purpose but I wouldnt use them on my 90 which I have the Insas on. I've got the 265/75/16 and run them at 28psi on my 90 and find they're ok on the road, even at motorway speeds (it is a 90 mind!)

Mine have worn down on the 90 but then they were already on there when I bought it over 2 years ago and I have done a lot of road work.

Im also interested in the Recip Trials and want to know how well they perform.

Just re-read your post above and maybe it is the vehicle they're on.

Edited by smokinv8

Not got insa turbo's but anaconda's on my 4.2 bob, when I first put them on and took it for a spin thats almost what happened! lethal on a moist road. However, I knew they would be a bit twitchy and was prepared for that compromise,but 200 miles on the road wore the sharp corners/ moulding pips away and they are quite a bit better now, still not a patch on the bfg at's on my 110 but better.

I rate my BFG MT's very highly. I've done a lot of road miles and they still look like new. They are about the best compromise between good on and off road performance I've found.

My old set - which I was using today on my new truck have done over 50,000 miles and although pretty worn, gave a good account of themselves. They might be expensive to buy, but it's justified in the mileage you can get out of them! They are much better value than any of the other MT copies.

Shame about the Insa's - I'm just about to buy a set of the 33" ones, but not for road use.

Si

Hey,

I recently bought a full set of Insa Turbo Dakars for mine (BFG Mud Copy), but now wishing I bought Special tracks...nothing against them, I just tend to get into really major mud and would prefer that extra grip as I am often the lead vehicle.

Mine are only a few months old, so a swap could be a possibility?

Adam

I rate my BFG MT's very highly. I've done a lot of road miles and they still look like new. They are about the best compromise between good on and off road performance I've found.

My old set - which I was using today on my new truck have done over 50,000 miles and although pretty worn, gave a good account of themselves. They might be expensive to buy, but it's justified in the mileage you can get out of them! They are much better value than any of the other MT copies.

Shame about the Insa's - I'm just about to buy a set of the 33" ones, but not for road use.

Si

Si, Make sure that they are of the desired size because a friend of mine purchased some and although stamped the same size 235/85/16 as his old tyres they were considerably smaller. Apparantly they couldnt get carcases the same size as before.

Im guessing the ones you are getting are the 285/75/16 flavour though?

Oh and thanks for the x-brakes, going to fit mine in a bit today.

Neil