D 2 td5 top rad hose question.

kingdong2

Hi guys

went to altringham and back this afternoon and wilst i was stoped in a side street with the engine running i got a burnt antyfreezy smell, anyway opened the bonnet and there was coolant on the left side of the engine ( sat in the car ) around the top hose area,there was also a hissing noise aswell but couldn't see where it was coming from, then after we got home i checked again under the bonnet and with a rag i wiped round everything and when i wiped over the bleed screw the hissing sound changed i checked to see if it was tight and it was but there was bubbles coming from it, can you buy a bleed screw on its own or do i need to buy a top hose.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.

thanks for all your replies, i asked as i only replaced the antifreeze last week as i replaced both the heater hoses as one was leaking, then i re bleed the system but since then the bleed screw has started leaking, but will go with the thread tape idea first.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.

Had a similar experience a few months back - after a run of about 20 mls I was in a carpark with engine running for a few minutes when I noticed steam coming from under the bonnet . (Had the rad fan removed for the winter .)

When I checked I found a sign of coolant around the bleed screw in top hose . Let the engine cool down .

Drove home . No problems since .

I feel that the pressure built up in the system due to heat after the drive and then parking with engine running and no fan - pressure found a way out .

So you could just leave it and see how it goes for a day or two .

The thread on bleed screw is very fine - any kind of tape could lead to stripped threads IMHO .

And I would avoid using any kind of sealer that goes through the coolant - they often cause more problems than they solve .

thanks for that Dooroy i have checked it over the last couple of days and it is still leaking, but the other day i decided to order a new top and bottom hose from paddocks as we are going to cornwall in july and would be a good idea to replace them while i had the chance, anyway they came today ( genuine land rover ) so will get them done tomorrow, but looking at the new top hose there are enlinement marks on the hose and bleed screw but on mine there isn't so looks like i have overtightened it, just need to get some antifreeze now the numpties in my local motorworld shop don't know what the f**k i am talking about as there bible shows both d1 and d2 diesels use the same antifreeze so will go to land ranger tomorrow and get some.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.

I changed a few hoses in mine last year and they came with new spring clips on them .

I fitted them with the new clips but most of the ***** things leaked slightly - even though stubs etc had been in perfect condition.So keep a check for the first few days .

Had to remove a few of them and fit worm drive clips instead - no more problems. Cut them off with a hacksaw as otherwise I would have had to remove hoses and go through the bleeding routine again .

As regards coolant I did some 'research' and have been using Comma Long Life Coolant for the past 2 yrs or so and no problems . I also used it in my sisters MGF and no problems . I found it was available from the motor factors much cheaper than going to LR - they were charging about €14/15 per litre .

Took a while to gather all the info - first time I asked about it in the motor factors they had no idea what I was talking about .

yeh i have been thinking about them, when i replaced the heater hoses last week i used normal jubelee clips which seem to do the job, my son is running me to halfords later to buy a 36mm spanner to remove the fan will take the hose with me and buy some proper hose clips,( just hope they don't try and charge me for the hose ) the landy hose clips remind me of the old ford wire type hose clip that keped leaking the only good thing between the landy clips and the ford clips is with the ford clips you could still have a go and tighten it up.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.

i replaced the top and bottom hose yesterday and fitted normal jubilee clips with no probs, after bleading it i ran the engine till it reached normal temp i also left the fan off and took it for a short run and it just seems a bit quicker when setting off, i take it the fan may have been holding the car back.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

97 d1 300 tdi man.