Disco 1 - Help

MITCHF

Hi all, I have a problem and need some directon.

The Brake warning light on the dash is flickering occasionally, more noticeably down hill ?

Only other symptom, the handbrake is right at the top of it's travel and just holding.

Fluid is OK.

Me thinks brake pads ?, front or rear ?, if it's handbrake what do I need to look at ?

Cheers

The Brake warning light on the dash is flickering occasionally, more noticeably down hill ?

Me thinks brake pads ?, front or rear ?

Wherever you have them ;) Easy enough to ckeck all round.

Only other symptom, the handbrake is right at the top of it's travel and just holding.

.. if it's handbrake what do I need to look at ?

The warning light should come on as soon as you lift the HB lever. If the HB lever is right at the top of its travel you probably need to adjust the shoes in the handbrake drum (if this is possible? I don't own one) or fit new handbrake shoes - but they don't wear that quickly! The only other thing I can think of is that the cable is knackered.

Crikey... there's technology for you... wear indicators on a Disco!

Pads is a case of checking around the vehicle - I know it sounds daft, but do remember to check both pads per corner in case you have a sticky caliper...

Handbrake - you need flat ground (or wheel chocks) and a 19mm socket. Release the handbrake and then roll under the car with socket and ratchet - I have enough play in the transmission to rock the handbrake drum and attached propshaft as I tighten the hnadbrake adjuster - I suspect that most Discos are the same. When you feel it bite, reverse the ratchet and wind the adjuster back slightly.

Jump into car and apply handbrake - you should be sorted!

Hi,

Can it be something as simple as the level in the brake fluid master cylinder being slightly low and as you going down hill the level switch is making intermittently thus bringing the warning light ON.

Cheers,

BK :D

Cheers, I'll check the handbrake adjustment first.

The wheels are off next weekend anyway to fit new suspension so I'll check all four pairs on the pads.

Thanks again :)

If a set of pads has worn substantially, then the fluid may drop far enough to allow the warning light to be activated intermittently.

To my eternal shame, I had this happen last year.

Check the fluid level. If it is low, then look for the reason. Chances are it is pad wear, or maybe a slight weep from the system.

The handbrake adjustment is more likely to be cable stretch. The system is such that the friction surfaces tend not to wear as rapidly as pads on the wheels will. By coincidence, there is a thread earlier today............. :)

• 2 weeks later...