Where have you put yours????

freeagent

i'm probably missing something obvious here, but i cant actually find anywhere suitable for my CB in my 300tdi disco... <_<

i dont want to put it on top of the dash as its a bit 'obvious', it needs to be accessable for both driver and co-driver...

best thought so far is on the side of the cubby box, or in the roof, on the plastic mount above the passengers sun visor...

anyone got any better ideas, i dont want it to be to obvious from outside the vehicle, and ive got an external speaker to wire into it....

cheers

m@tt. :)

Mine is mounted on the side of the centre console above where the front footwell air vents come out. I was just careful not to drill through the air ducting when I did it. It's a bit dark for a photo otherwise I would take one for you.

If you drive with your seat far enough back you can get away with attaching it to the door for the fusebox/steering column/wiring loom towards the centre console. I just couldn't get to grips with it there; it interfered with my clutch leg too much.

If you drive with your seat far enough back you can get away with attaching it to the door for the fusebox/steering column/wiring loom towards the centre console. I just couldn't get to grips with it there; it interfered with my clutch leg too much.

That is exactly where mine is. I don't find it interferes with my left leg at all. It also means the mic bracket can be put on the side of the instrument binacle which is very easy to use. It does help that my cb is a small unit, not a full size DIN one though.

I thought it would be too dark for a picture too, but it actually came out alright:

cbmountsmall.JPG

hope that helps,

Mark

Turns out it's never too dark for a photo. The neighbours are wondering what I'm up to - taking photos in my car after dark:

cb.jpg

I've never had trouble with a co-driver managing to use mine (often against my will).

yeah, thats what i'd been thinking, but thought it was a bit close to the seat...

i'm going to have a look at doing it like 'onions' has done his, as ive got the same dashboard as 'im....

thought about putting it inside the cubby box, but the unit is too deep.

Above and just behind the rear view mirror, on the plastic panel where there would be a sunroof switch if it had a sunroof.

I have had a VHF radio there in 2 Discoverys now and it is by far the best place, out of the way, not easy to see (how many people look up) but very easy to use and audio is good too :)

Above and just behind the rear view mirror, on the plastic panel where there would be a sunroof switch if it had a sunroof.

I have had a VHF radio there in 2 Discoverys now and it is by far the best place, out of the way, not easy to see (how many people look up) but very easy to use and audio is good too :)

All I did was fit two large hooks, used door coat hooks in the end, to the CB itself, hook it on the passenger side of the central console, easy to get at,no drilling and easy to remove to hide away, couple of in line plugs, sorted. But then I've never done pretty.

but ive got a fixed cubby box there
Mine had one of those 'hand bag' things.
cage looks cool, safety devices?
Yep, but second hand tho'. Have to remove centre console and passenger door to get it in there. The picture was taken just after I had finished fitting the cage.

Same place as Onions, dosent get in the way at all. I put my arial on the back door, ran the coax around the inside of the door across the hinge, under the carpet and yup into the CB, NO drilling required. Also used a quick release connector on the arial as I only use the CB off road.

Hi Matt,

Make sure you can take it out and the aerial off and hide, as if found going into Morocco they will remove it from you and search all the other vehicles as well.

Peter

yeah, i had that in mind, was planning to remove the lot while still in spain, and stash it away somewhere.... ;)

cheers pete. :)

m@tt.