Defender Dash Install

Hi all,

I'm about to embark on a dash tidy up/ install of a mud console and have just thrashed out the details of the contura switches i'm going to install. I'll have (in no order) a Hazard switch, Rear wash wipe, Driving lights, rear work light, interior/map reading light switch, winch power and winch in/out.

The wiring i've got so far looks something like the following, can you guys have alook and make sure i haven't missed anything obvious? I'll be installing a fusebox behind the passenger seat along with an isolator switch for the main battery and a split charger. Does anyone make extension looms to move the hazard switch?

Thanks guys,

Dave

lr_wiring.pdf

Dave,

I noticed you have 2 volt meters - one for the main, the other for the aux battery.

Am I right in thinking that these will only show an accurate reading when the engine is turned off (and the split charge is inactive? ie: not linking the batteries together.

I'm asking as this is something I've been considering for a while.

it should be accurate at all times. If the Split charge isn't connecting the two batteries they will both show the charge across the individual batteries, if the split charge is active then it will show the charge across the two batteries which will be the same, i.e around 14v if the alternator is charging them correctly.

hth

Dave

Hmmm, maybe I should have worded my question a little differently.

What I meant was that, when the split charge is "on", will the meters both show the same voltage (14v from the alternator), rather than show the actual battery voltage - even if one of the batteries is more discharged than the other (ie after using a winch etc)

Hmmm, maybe I should have worded my question a little differently.

What I meant was that, when the split charge is "on", will the meters both show the same voltage (14v from the alternator), rather than show the actual battery voltage - even if one of the batteries is more discharged than the other (ie after using a winch etc)

Ah ok, i'm with you. If the alternator is charging both batteries then they will both show 14v. Current can only travel one way through the split charger, it is effectively a massive diode so they should show the individual batteries voltages even when the split charger is allowing the alternator to charge the aux battery. Whether or not you'll see a voltage drop on the second battery while it is being charged and used by a winch or other high draw device i dont know. I'll let you know when i've got it in and working!