Rear hub bolts

bobed90

I am curently rebuilding the rear axle on the works 110 which has been fitted with a range rover 10 spline rear axle ( which is why i am posting in this section) The bearings had collapsed and severly damaged the stub axle and hub. Im in the process of fitting a second hand hub, but the bolt holes used to secure it to the brake disk are full of carp and i cant get the bolts to do up. Can someone tell me what the correct thread size is so i can get a tap to clean out the threads before i end up snapping a bolt in it. Im not at work till tomorrow so was planning on ordering a new tap and die set so want to make sure the right size bit will be in the set i get.

Thanks Jason

I work at a driver experience centre, the vehicles never see the road or go over 30 miles per hour. They spend so much time in mud that the axles get through a lot of seals and bearings and occasionally diffs. The decision was made long before i started, to fit a standard rear axle to make changing the rear diffs easier and also so we can keep less parts in stock.

We run 2 300tdi 110s and a 300 tdi disco, i have been there for only 2 weeks and the 4x4s take up much of my maintainance time. So far i have rebuilt 2 rear axles and a front axle, changed a water pump and a load of bushes and there is still loads more that needs doing in the near future :blink: .

We also run a mercedes skid car, a chieftan tank, a tatra 8x8, bedford mj, renault 420 tractor unit with 45ft trailer, 16 ton 360 digger, and 6 rally cars. We also have a few 432 tanks kicking about and 7 alvis stalwarts, and i am responsible for the repairs on all of them and i also do the instucting on everything except the skid car. So im a little busy and all maintainance has to be done in a limited amount of time. But its fun, and so far i am enjoying the experience.

Thanks Jason

I am curently rebuilding the rear axle on the works 110 which has been fitted with a range rover 10 spline rear axle ( which is why i am posting in this section) The bearings had collapsed and severly damaged the stub axle and hub. Im in the process of fitting a second hand hub, but the bolt holes used to secure it to the brake disk are full of carp and i cant get the bolts to do up. Can someone tell me what the correct thread size is so i can get a tap to clean out the threads before i end up snapping a bolt in it. Im not at work till tomorrow so was planning on ordering a new tap and die set so want to make sure the right size bit will be in the set i get.

Thanks Jason

I had a similar bolt problem about 15 years ago, couldn't find out the size until I was told to take it down to the local Engine Re-builder, guy in the office just asked the Fitter and Turner to measure the sample bolt which he did and identified the thread and the pitch, they also offered to lend me their tap but someone had broken it and it hadn't been replaced, so he sent me down to the local supplier who provided me with the correct tap.

Unfortunately i dont have the time to go around various places to sort the bolt size out. I need to have the axle fully reassembled by wednesday morning! Which is a simple enough task but i also have to fit a new exhaust to a double decker bus and fix an air leak on it and fix another air leak on the renault lorry, so i have a very busy day tomorrow :ph34r::unsure: !

No doubt the landrover will be back in the workshop by wednesday afternoon anyway, as im taking a group of 11-16 year olds out for there first drive offroad aspart of a government education program.