Rushall Down and the tanks explaned

Ok, finally got out to Rushall Down today where it was discussed a few weeks ago whether you could travel through the tanks to a water tank at the other side of the valley.

Well, the first thing you will see is this sign coming upto a major clump in the ground:

DSCF2039.jpg

if you travel that further 400 yards and look right you will see this:

DSCF2040.jpg

you have now reached the end of the BOAT, irrespective of what the map says and DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER. You see this area is the main training area for major artilliary bombardment, that earth bank bunker has seriously thick reinforced glass so that they can put fresh squaddies inside to then seriously bombard that area to show to them what coming under a major artilliary engagement looks like. My dad's been within this building when they have done it and seen sodding massive squaddies turn into shaking wrecks when they see what gets wasted in that area in front of them. No holds barred for the artilliary boys and there WILL be unexploded ordinance in that area!!!!

So, if you are thinking of going through those tanks, tell us what flowers you want on your grave and we'll get them ordered.

Some picks of the tanks while I was there, first piccie looks like it has a Sherman in it

DSCF2041.jpg

DSCF2042.jpg

DSCF2043.jpg

Guest diesel_jim

Yeah, i concur minivin.

although it is nice and peaceful there (when they're not bombing the sh*t out of it! :D )

nice place to park in front of and have a brew when out laning.

Looks like I stopped at the same place as you Minivin, just by the bank.

From the sign to there was no way 400 yards though, perhaps 400 feet. Where did you get the information about the map being wrong? I should go and check it out at county hall - although I seem to have a deteriorating relationship with them at the moment.

However, I fully appreciate that to drive into there might be to take ones life into ones hands! :)

Chris

Looks like I stopped at the same place as you Minivin, just by the bank.

From the sign to there was no way 400 yards though, perhaps 400 feet. Where did you get the information about the map being wrong? I should go and check it out at county hall - although I seem to have a deteriorating relationship with them at the moment.

However, I fully appreciate that to drive into there might be to take ones life into ones hands! :)

Chris

It looks 400 yards to me, but as I didn't bring my 12" rule with me I can't be certain ;)

Are those deck-chairs leaning up against the bank??

Wonder what they cost to hire..............

£5 a go, Euro's require a 5% exchange rate surcharge, ice creams and pop available between episodes of 1812 Overture and Ride of the Valkeries :D

is this a different view of my photo?

DSC01835.jpg

yeah, your to the west of where I was, on the green lane from Bustard Point to the "X" in the green lanes where the two upper points finish in the middle of the plain. or in other words towards East Down near a building on your left I take it?

yeah, your to the west of where I was, on the green lane from Bustard Point to the "X" in the green lanes where the two upper points finish in the middle of the plain. or in other words towards East Down near a building on your left I take it?

can't remember any buildings, but yep, heading N, from the Bustard Inn, the dead tanks being on the right hand side. (east)

Guest diesel_jim
it is quite impressive to watch the bombardments, makes the ground shake a little as well!

nothing like the films though.

i wouldnt go wandering around the hulks anyway.

you should try being on exercise there when they're bombing.... great fun! :ph34r:

OO OO i have been in there! Its really good - if you like that sort of thing! In fact been in it three times i think!

The impressive bit is the vision portals - thick glass/poly/glass - when the shrapnel hits them you are glad you have your safety googles on! (Army health and safety)

The whole experience is a real trouser flapping experience but much better than the real thing...............................

ummm.... lived and worked one mile from the range, only need to look out my window :)

Argue that with a Ranger or the MOD when they tell you to you shouldnt be there!

Belt and braces is all i am saying Rob.... if Jason tells you something you already know then no harm done?

As already said just passing on a name of someone who MAY know something useful, there are some on here who have been fined or had their trucks taken away.(am sure there are stories to be told)

Argue that with a Ranger or the MOD when they tell you to you shouldnt be there!

Belt and braces is all i am saying Rob.... if Jason tells you something you already know then no harm done?

As already said just passing on a name of someone who MAY know something useful, there are some on here who have been fined or had their trucks taken away.(am sure there are stories to be told)

I've lived this area all my life, I can read a map sufficient to get around Italy and back, and I work for the company that runs the trials on the range, I think I'm safe :huh:

I can read a map sufficient to get around Italy and back

Sorry Rob, that means squat! Salisbury plain is notoriously poorly mapped as half the tracks on the ground are not on the maps and vice versa. Without a GPS as an absolute minimum and ideally a moving map setup is is nigh on impossible to find your way about accuratly. I have tried and there are just not enough features in the landscape to do it - at least not if you are trying to move at any speed/drive at the same time.

Italy and back you could do on roadsigns!

Chris

I've lived this area all my life, I can read a map sufficient to get around Italy and back, and I work for the company that runs the trials on the range, I think I'm safe :huh:

yeah ,and i've done plenty of contract work for said company (starts with a Q) and wouldn't trust a word that many of the top brass have to say, none of the management appear to be overburdened with common sense...

if a bigwig from said firm told me it was ok to drive there... i'd go and ask someone sensible. :)