2 stage intercooler setup ona TD5

kingrat

I have a 2nd intercooler laying around in the garage along with some spare neoprene air hose. I'm thinking of going 2 stage with the intercoolers, but looking I would need to remove the slam panel supports for the bonnet. Has anyone fitted a 2nd intercoller and do you have some pictures to share?

Cheers

What pressure are you boosting to?

what size turbo etc?

There are two ways of doing this,

in Sequence where one feeds into the other, this way you will get the least pressure drop but slightly less cooling effect, or in parallel, where the turbo feeds into both at once, this way you get more of a pressure drop but better cooling effect if your turbo can keep up. there are variables and more complex theories to this but in essence you get my drift!

I personally if using a standardish turbo at about 1.5 bar would not bother, but at 2 bar I would run two in series if I had the room! If in front of each other then run the second intercooler as the front one for the following reason.

Radiators/intercoolers work from temperature differentials between the ambient air and the internal air. Say your internal air temp is 250F after the turbo which it can easily be, and outside cooling air is 50F then you have a useful differential.

BUT the air passing through will be hotter, say 130F after picking up heat to cool your inlet charge, so now you have cooling air at 130F and a now cooler inlet charge at say 150F after your first intercooler, so 130 cooling 150 does not give a very useful temp differential. But 50F ambient cooling air of say 180F and 130F "used cooling air" cooling 250F does! Or have I lost you? Again many complex theories to get this exactly right but in practice it generally works best like this unless you have a VERY big turbo and loads of boost etc, Then you need a serious intercooler or two connected in parallel.

Lara

Lara, thanks for a very concise and simple response, I must admit I had not thought the technicalities through. The plan was to use them in series, just because I have a spare laying around. The turbo is standard, so if my thinking is correct I would need a remap if I upped the boost. Not sure what the max boost pressure is on a TD5 so I expect that would mean a bigger turbo.

Cheers

Hi,

a standard TD5 runs very "clean" just like all production diesels, this means that you have about 30 to 40% more air running through your engine than is actually needed to burn the amount of fuel that is being injected. this is good as it means your emissions are good, you get less soot everywhere and the EGTs are lower and stable. So adding boost on a standard tune will do nothing. Adding fuel as we all know will do quite a lot. So yes, a re-chip / program will help a lot. and giving up to 1.5 bar on a standard turbo plus fuel etc will give a nice fat power increase! More boost and your turbo will have a short life. A larger hybrid unit is better for higher boost up to 1.8 / 2 bar Your engine will be OK providing fueling etc is set so EGTs are reasonable and you are conscious of this when using full throttle for extended periods. It gets expensive and complicated after this as you will need a larger turbo with much bigger bearings etc to cope with extended boost periods etc, larger compressor etc etc etc.

Regards,

Lara