capstan winch - how where to make this

Finn

Hi guys,

I have got a capstan winch and a drive dog. Everything else is missing.

Are thses things still for sale (not ebay.. have been looking for months now)?

Or is there a way to re-make them? Any information is welcome!

Cheers,

Finn

I suggest you post up the page of the manual that shows the parts you don't have, then list the parts you need.

We have to assume Effortless didn't have them either.

A picture showing the specific parts may make it easier for people to help you if they have some odd parts, and if you want help on making something from scratch, again a picture of the end product will help.

Good Luck.

Hi guys,

I have got a capstan winch and a drive dog. Everything else is missing.

Are thses things still for sale (not ebay.. have been looking for months now)?

Or is there a way to re-make them? Any information is welcome!

Cheers,

Finn

Finn

This looks like its the brackets and control levers missing, along with the sliding bush/drive engagement block. I'm no expert on this stuff, but its not looking too bad - by drive dog, do you mean just the end drive or do you have the whole shaft..? Making that would be the hardest as it has sliding sections and takes all the torque of the engine.

PG Winches used to be the only real supplier of bits but they closed down last year I think.

Cheers

Peter

Finn

This looks like its the brackets and control levers missing, along with the sliding bush/drive engagement block. I'm no expert on this stuff, but its not looking too bad - by drive dog, do you mean just the end drive or do you have the whole shaft..? Making that would be the hardest as it has sliding sections and takes all the torque of the engine.

PG Winches used to be the only real supplier of bits but they closed down last year I think.

Cheers

Peter

With drive dog, I mean the part which goes into the engine. All the shafts and other bits of the driveline, leaver and bracets are missing.

With drive dog, I mean the part which goes into the engine. All the shafts and other bits of the driveline, leaver and bracets are missing.

OK - that makes it a bit more of a challenge..!

Is it a Fairey Capstan or the Aeroparts one.? You'll need to find someone with one to copy the driveshaft, and I think it has at least 1 shearpin in the assembly somewhere. Do you have access to lathe/mill etc..? The driveshaft has a ball end to it, and it is most likely hardened after machining so its not a quick DIY job.

thought about trying to convert it to hydraulic..? A hydraulic motor and a PAS pump setup with a shuttle valve etc might be quicker and easier than all the gubbins for shaft drive.

Just a thought

Cheers

Pete