Campfire cooking

So we are all off camping now so I thought we should have a cooking section.

Now is the season of the fresh nettle so heres a start. :)

Nettles

The folk belief in most European countries is that nettles (Urtica diorica L.) are a "spring tonic" that purifies the blood. In Germany, where much current research on the medicinal properties of plants comes from, nettle leaf tea reportedly increases blood hemoglobin. Diuretic activity has been confirmed by both laboratory studies and a human clinical study. Nettles are also thought to help stimulate blood circulation and have been used to clear chronic skin ailments. Some propose that the nettle might also help prevent Alzheimer’s disease since it contains acetylcholine and choline, both deficient in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s. It also contains serotonin, a mood enhancer along with boron and calcium, important for strong bones.

Nettles are tender and sweet, with a slight peppery bite that gets stronger as the plants get older. Anything you like to do with spinach you can also do with nettles — except eat them raw — because, yes, we are talking about stinging nettles here. But like most good things in life, nettles are worth a little irritation. Just wear gloves when you work with them — or plop them directly from the bag into the pan. Rest assured that the sting is eliminated by cooking.

Pasta with Nettles

and Parmesan

3-4 cups fresh nettles

3 Tablespoons olive oil

3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1 small hot red pepper

1 pound pasta (traditionally penne, pennette, or rigatoni)

1. Wash the nettles and put in salted boiling water for about seven minutes.

2. While they are cooking, put olive oil, garlic, and hot pepper into a frying pan over medium heat for three to four minutes.

3. Remove the cooked nettles from the boiling water and put into the frying pan with the garlic and pepper. Stir and cook for a few minutes, until excess water has evaporated and the nettles are coated with oil.

4. Use the water the nettles were boiled in to cook the pasta. When pasta is al dente (chewy), drain and toss with the cooked nettles. Serve with fresh grated parmesan.

Next?

Will :)

Another one of my favourites:

cut sweet potato or squash or both into 3/4" cubes

Make some foil parcels and place 3 or four cubes in the parcel with a bit of butter, a sprig of rosemary and a pinch of salt and pepper.

Wedge the parcel in the engine bay or BBQ until cubes are tender.

Delicious with a burnt banger or steak....

Will :)

... into a frying pan over medium heat for three to four minutes...

Can somebody point me in the direction of the adjustment on the fire? Maybe it should be specified as Log Mark 4 or something???

cant beat corned beef hash...... :)

mix together equal quantities of corned beef and mashed potato, add fried onions to taste and fry in a large pan.

add salt, pepper, tobasco sauce or hot pepper sauce to taste....

serve with decent baked beans, or peas and carrots.

gravy can go nicely with it too....

worked for me as a scout, and i still like it. :);)

Cunning trip when camping is if you need rice leave it in a flask full of hot water - by the time you've finished cooking other stuff/setting up/drinking beer you have a flask full of lovely cooked rice B)

(although I hold no responsibility for what your tea tastes like afterwards! :huh::rolleyes::lol: )

Personal favourite when camping is a steak and jacket potatoe which has been cooked on the open fire... with some local wine Mmm... :)

chocolate

jaffa cakes

cant beat corned beef hash...... :)

mix together equal quantities of corned beef and mashed potato, add fried onions to taste and fry in a large pan.

add salt, pepper, tobasco sauce or hot pepper sauce to taste....

serve with decent baked beans, or peas and carrots.

gravy can go nicely with it too....

worked for me as a scout, and i still like it. :);)

Sounds good just leave out the corned beef ;)

You clearly went to the wrong scout troop :P

How about freshly baked bread, fresh river trout, spit roast rabbit...? :D

Careful Geoff, next someone will be posting a certain recipe for fox cub :ph34r: