tdt disco cooling probs

Alan3hg

Hi All.

Car a 2000 disco 2, Td5

Never had any probs with overheating etc till....

The vibration weight snapped on the bottom pully.

Car ran fine untill i sourced a new pully.

Replaced pully rad out etc new belt on.

Fan belt become loose on way to work still turned fan etc, just made a noise.

The heating went cold after a few more miles, carried onto work as was just round corner, Found i had a split in one of the bottom water pipes,

Repaired the pipe, rebled system,

Since then iam loosing all the water from the system in a bout 40 miles, car does overheat on the motorway after 20 mins or so..

There is no leeks,

The oil is good no mayo etc, had a mate follow me no sign of steam out the exhaust, so hopefully not the headgasket.

My way of thinking is water pump or fan or themostat,

Another idea was I had put the two pipes which go on the bottom of the rad the wrong way round, but cannot see that makes a difference.

Any body got any ideas as its driving me up the wall.

Cheers Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

Car a 2000 disco 2, Td5

Never had any probs with overheating etc till....

The vibration weight snapped on the bottom pully.

Car ran fine untill i sourced a new pully.

Replaced pully rad out etc new belt on.

Fan belt become loose on way to work still turned fan etc, just made a noise.

The heating went cold after a few more miles, carried onto work as was just round corner, Found i had a split in one of the bottom water pipes,

Repaired the pipe, rebled system,

Since then iam loosing all the water from the system in a bout 40 miles, car does overheat on the motorway after 20 mins or so..

There is no leeks,

The oil is good no mayo etc, had a mate follow me no sign of steam out the exhaust, so hopefully not the headgasket.

My way of thinking is water pump or fan or themostat,

Another idea was I had put the two pipes which go on the bottom of the rad the wrong way round, but cannot see that makes a difference.

Any body got any ideas as its driving me up the wall.

Cheers Al

Just went through the same carp with my 300 TDI. The "P" Gasket went behind the water pump, no signs of any C/H problems. Went on for three weeks kicking water out of the expansion tank. Head gasket went between the 1st and 2nd cylinder. Had head skimmed and pressure tested, put it back on and bingo, up and running fine once more! The funny thing is it never showed up on a gas test ?

Replaced water pump, thermostat, bled system to no avail before finding the problem. Damned "P" gasket is a real pain!