changing brake pads range rover classic

need to change the pads on the range rover, first time for me :unsure: anything i need to watch out for? any special tips?

regards

orange

Pretty easy job... just make sure you get new springy clippy things, cos 9 times out of ten they are rusted away. Unless of course you have the later style which have the pin that goes through the pads as well as the calipers :blink:

Make sure there is no crub in the caliper when you try to put the new pads in, otherwise they wont fit in properly.

need to change the pads on the range rover, first time for me :unsure: anything i need to watch out for? any special tips?

regards

orange

Ignore me if this is a grandma and sucking eggs comment..........................

don't forget to use plenty of copper slip between the piston and brake pad BACK where they meet and on the pins when you put them back if you have them. helps prevent rust and squeeks. mind the material side!!

Ignore me if this is a grandma and sucking eggs comment..........................

well its my first time so any comment is highly appreciated!

as far as i understand so far, that how the job works:

take the wheel off

pull the splints out

pull the springy clippy things out

pull the old pads out

push the pistons back (clean them before, so that seals don't get screwed)

put the new pads in (coppe grease between pad an piston)

put the springy clippy things back in

put the splints in

put the wheel back on

job done!

anything i forgot?

take the wheel off

pull the splints out

pull the old pads out

put the splints in

put the wheel back on

job done!

anything i forgot?

I reckon thats about it. :D

BUT... If you are changing all four corners as I did a couple of weeks ago, you may well get an overflow in the fluid resevoir when you push the pistons back in... so keep an eye on it!

Edited to add:

And don't forget to pump the brake pedal a couple of times before you drive off... brown trousers otherwise!! :rolleyes::lol:

Good luck! :D

Seriously

Check the discs for wear and thinness....if they have "lips" at the top, and the surface area worn away replace.

Discs start off IIRC at 13mm, damaged discs (ie groves and high low areas will nmake pads last not very long and reduce braking efficency

nige

"brown trousers...."

yep forgot that on my motorbike after a swift clean up and pad change in a hurry to get to MOT........eeek....aarrgh.........thank god for the third lane......up the middle that is!!! :blink::ph34r:

take the wheel off

pull the splints out

pull the old pads out

put the splints in

put the wheel back on

job done!

anything i forgot?

I usually leave one pad in at a time and gently press on the brake peddle to get the free piston to come out a few more milimeters - keep an eye on it, you do not want it to fall right out! This allows much easier and more thorough cleaning of the whole piston. If the pistons are at all sticky/reluctant to go back in then I usually "excercise" them in and out a few times to be sure that they are free. Don't be tempted to lubricate them.

Cheers

Chris

I usually leave one pad in at a time and gently press on the brake peddle to get the free piston to come out a few more milimeters - keep an eye on it, you do not want it to fall right out! This allows much easier and more thorough cleaning of the whole piston. If the pistons are at all sticky/reluctant to go back in then I usually "excercise" them in and out a few times to be sure that they are free. Don't be tempted to lubricate them.

Cheers

Chris

what do use to clena the pistons? brake cleaner?

regards

orange

Just a clean rag. It is just to get the dust off really. Use brake cleaner or even soapy water - be sure to rinse very carefully though, detergent contains salt which will cause corrosion - for stubborn grime.

Chris

Just a clean rag. It is just to get the dust off really. Use brake cleaner or even soapy water - be sure to rinse very carefully though, detergent contains salt which will cause corrosion - for stubborn grime.

Chris