Key Safe

RichardAllen

After a recent theft of keys, for expedition use, I have a plan to weld in a weather proof push button combination key safe underneath somewhere.

The idea is that it would be better to hold the keys securely on an immobilised vehicle than in jacket pockets or a bag.

I would be very grateful for all views on whether this is good idea at all, if anyone has done something similar and what key safe was chosen.

Regards

Richard

I suppose it depends on where you are expeditioning to. If someone takes the truck on a Hiab, then they had the keys too - an advantage if the keys are coded to the vehicle. If you are car-jacked, they'll force you to hand over the keys where ever they are. If the vehicle is left unattended for a while, the would-be theif has time to work on removing/opening your safe.

I'd think the biggest risk might be someone seeing you key in the code, then you come back to no truck.

I've never heard of a key safe before - is it common?

I find them hard enough to open on the wall let alone lying on your back under the landy or with your head buried in the engine bay !

Under the vehicle is not weather, it's far worse and I doubt that the rubber covers on these keysafes will keep the elements out leading to heap big problems when you really need to get the key.

HTH

Mo

they are quite common, I have mainly seen them used by community nurses etc when elderly patients can't get to the door to let them in. I would advise against for all the reasons above, just keep an extra extra spare set, in an emergency you can always break into your own vehicle!

Mike

After a recent theft of keys, for expedition use, I have a plan to weld in a weather proof push button combination key safe underneath somewhere.

The idea is that it would be better to hold the keys securely on an immobilised vehicle than in jacket pockets or a bag.

I would be very grateful for all views on whether this is good idea at all, if anyone has done something similar and what key safe was chosen.

Regards

Richard

Hi,

As others have stated it will not stop a peasant with a Hi-Ab, but when we travelled in Africa i had a spare set of keys in a very small waterproof box attached under the vehicle, out of sight, there are a few decent places you can attach a small (just big enough for keys) box on a LR. It wont stop your truck being pinched but a handy thing to have.

My thoughts anyway

Keith

Hi,

As others have stated it will not stop a peasant with a Hi-Ab, but when we travelled in Africa i had a spare set of keys in a very small waterproof box attached under the vehicle, out of sight, there are a few decent places you can attach a small (just big enough for keys) box on a LR. It wont stop your truck being pinched but a handy thing to have.

My thoughts anyway

Keith

Was this a locked box of any kind (along the lines of my key safe idea), or just one fixed well out of sight?

Regards

Richard

Was this a locked box of any kind (along the lines of my key safe idea), or just one fixed well out of sight?

Regards

Richard

Hi

Not a locked unit, just well sealed waterproofed and covered in carp, i tiger sealed it in place, and its still there 9 years later, impossible to see without knowing what you are looking for, contains ignition, door and keys for external locks. size is approx 3"x2"x1" filled with a piece of foam and keys no rattling at all. Think i got the box from maplins oinly a couple of quid.

Regards

Keith

I used to have a similar thing, but it was slide-topped, and magnetically attached. It lasted me for years, until particularly enthusiastic encounter with a hump-backed bridge sent us our separate ways :(

I think it was actually intended for the job, as was pretty waterproof, and foam lined. At a guess, I'd say it was 60's or before. I was more peeved at loosing the box than the key!

If you do go down this rout, I'd firstly attach whatever you use very securely, and secondly make it inconspicuous, rather than making it obvious that there's something of value inside. Perhaps you could have a few cables pass through it as weel, for subterfuge's sake.

In my (fairly limited) expedition experience, theft of vehicle is nowhere near as much of a problem a theft from a vehicle.

I once awoke on a Turkish camp site to find that a German couple's BMW estate not ten feet from my tent (and five feet from the owners' tent) was wide open and empty - they had got in by removing the rear glass by cutting the rubber.

On another occasion, when we packed up and set off in our IIa LWB there was a horrible banging from underneath and we found that most of the prop-shaft bolts had gone missing!

But back on topic: Our solution to the keys problem was for each of us to have a set, and as a final fall-back there was an additional ignition key which - IIRC - was riveted on to the inner wing somewhere and covered in underseal. Mind you, it was an old IIa, so a key was not really necessary anyway - a small penknife would suffice! :D

Roger